Do you have close PF friends?

• Thread starter turbo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friends
In summary, Astro has nice friends, but he would like to meet Chi. Chi has better mountains closer. Other PF friends that Astro can't lose are Evo, Drizzle (Gad), Rhody, Danger, Zoobie, MIH, Pooh, and Mr. Borkowski. Borek has been friendly to Astro, and my wife has a decorated pasteboard box that she keeps all her little keepsakes in. Rhody is Astro's PF friend that is as close to him as Tsu is close to Ivan. virtual conferences don't count, and my wife has kicked me out of chat multiple times because "some people" expected me to be there.
turbo
Gold Member
Do you have "close" PF friends?

I have only met Astro in person, but have had nice times with his wife and kids. I'd like Chi to come up this way, but he has better mountains closer.

Other PF friends that I can't lose are Evo, Drizzle (Gad), Rhody, Danger, Zoobie, MIH, Pooh, and Mr. Borkowski. (probably many, many more, too, but I just can't list everybody.)

Physics news on Phys.org

I haven't been here long enough to make too many friends, although I do get along well enough with a good number of you guys. :-)

So, in terms of close friends, there's Redsummers, although he haven't actually met. (yet)

I have a PF friend that is as close to me as Tsu is close to Ivan :smile:

Borek has been friendly to me in a material way. He very generously helped me to obtain copies of genealogical records from the Polish State Archives.

I don't know anybody. I somehow, somewhere, something ended up here because I Googled a question. Somehow I got stuck. :rolleyes:

... "Welcome to the Hotel California" ... Nananana... Nananana...

My wife has a decorated pasteboard box that she keeps all her little keepsakes in ( I have to keep the box in our Mosler fire-proof-safe). The first keepsake was a hand-drawn and hand-painted Valentine's card in which I asked her to marry me. There have been others over the years, but one of her "latest and greatest" was Borek's card and envelope with the the less-than-specific address. My wife loved it! That went right into the "keeper" box in the safe. Even nicer is that our niece is our rural mail carrier, and anything with our last name on it would have come here. "East of the Kennebec" couldn't have fazed her.

Two summers ago, my wife, daughter and I had a nice visit with Astronuc and his wife and son.

Years before I joined PF, I interacted with a couple of PF members. For 18 months, I lived in the same town as a PF member, and we used to discuss regularly theoretical physics. For several years, I used to drink beer and shoot pool with another PF member.

turbo said:
I have only met Astro in person, but have had nice times with his wife and kids. I'd like Chi to come up this way, but he has better mountains closer.

Other PF friends that I can't lose are Evo, Drizzle (Gad), Rhody, Danger, Zoobie, MIH, Pooh, and Mr. Borkowski. (probably many, many more, too, but I just can't list everybody.)
Nice Turbo,

I think PF IMHO represents to me what the sharing of knowledge, ideas, and insight should be on the internet. It is a rare jewel in a sea of mediocrity, and to that end the people who make it the way it is. I am glad you consider me a friend, as I do many others on your list.

Rhody... :smile:

I visited with Danger on a trip out to Calgary.

I thought everyone gets together at the PF Aruba Conference each year? :confused:

I didn't see my name anywhere here. I has a sad now. :(

Char. Limit said:

You're a good friend, char! :smile:

Pengwuino said:
I thought everyone gets together at the PF Aruba Conference each year? :confused:
Virtual conferences don't count Peng, unless of course we really do conference with something Skype like, hehe. It is just like having a virtual girlfriend, great for the imagination but not much else. I for one would like to have a "real" get together someday.

Rhody...

Char. Limit said:
Group hug for the big cheese...

Rhody...

Char. Limit said:
I :!) you Char!

I've met many people in person that I first met online, but no one from PF. The people I met from the internet turned out to be the same in person as they were online, so it was like meeting up with an old friend. I feel so close to some members here that I feel that we've already met. Having met in person just isn't necessary for me to form an attachment.

I treasure the friends I've made on PF. When we chat, it's like there is no distance between us. You guys live in my computer monitor, so you're never far. :tongue2:

So, if any of you fail to post without prior notice...I WILL BAN YOU, because *I care*. o:)

Watch out! I got kicked out of chat over and over and over again on Sunday because "some people" expected that I would be there and I was a bit busy.

turbo said:
Watch out! I got kicked out of chat over and over and over again on Sunday because "some people" expected that I would be there and I was a bit busy.
Being kicked from chat because you weren't there, now that is funny...

Rhody... :tongue:

rhody said:
Being kicked from chat because you weren't there, now that is funny...

Rhody... :tongue:
You had to be there. It was a bit absurd, but the tormentors took delight in it.

turbo said:
Between your mother in law, father, your health, and accidents (angry woodchuck knocks a cord of wood on you), you must pop into chat to say you're too busy to chat so we don't worry!

Evo said:
Between your mother in law, father, your health, and accidents (angry woodchuck knocks a cord of wood on you), you must pop into chat to say you're too busy to chat so we don't worry!
My biggest danger is Duke. He will run at me full-tilt and collide at full speed. He thinks it's fun.

My health issues are chronic and long-term, and will not resolve. If my father succumbs (fast, I hope) I will be glad for him to have avoided suffering. I have lots of cash and bonds to hand out to siblings (he was an inveterate saver) and cash to pay for his "final" expenses.

turbo said:
If my father succumbs (fast, I hope) I will be glad for him to have avoided suffering.

Did I miss something? :(

Borek said:
Did I miss something? :(
Nope. Dad's in good health, though he has arthritic knees (like me) and doesn't get out to walk like he used to. I call him every couple of days to check in. He lives over 15 miles away, so we don't drive back and forth and check in, just to say "Hi".

If I call and tell him that we have some left-over soup or casserole that he could take home, he'll be here in 20 minutes or less. Widower-cooking can't compare. He's 86 years old now, but still could put in a better day's work than a lot of people half his age.

turbo said:
Nope. Dad's in good health

Glad to hear that :biggrin:

micromass said:
You're a good friend, char! :smile:

rhody said:
Group hug for the big cheese...

Rhody...

Evo said:
I :!) you Char!

I've met many people in person that I first met online, but no one from PF. The people I met from the internet turned out to be the same in person as they were online, so it was like meeting up with an old friend. I feel so close to some members here that I feel that we've already met. Having met in person just isn't necessary for me to form an attachment.

I treasure the friends I've made on PF. When we chat, it's like there is no distance between us. You guys live in my computer monitor, so you're never far. :tongue2:

So, if any of you fail to post without prior notice...I WILL BAN YOU, because *I care*. o:)

I has a happy now. Yay for PF family!

Looks like everyone's avoiding to give names. :grumpy:

To be honest, I never thought I'd become a 'regular' PF member, sure I do have lots of friends who I care for, I won't list them here [:biggrin:]. But I have to say, Turbo was my first PF buddy, and micro is the last [so far :smile:] on my PF 'close' friends.

PS. Why don't you ask your wife to join PF, Turbo? And be the third PF couple here on PF. As far as I know there're Ivan+Tsu and Borek+Marzena.
Evo said:

Haha, True :)

Char. Limit said:
I has a happy now. Yay for PF family!

Sure, PFers are my second family :)

Gad said:

I don't want to give out names, because I might forget somebody. I don't want to hurt a person by forgetting them.
But you are certainly on my friends list drizzle! :smile:

micromass said:
I don't want to give out names, because I might forget somebody. I don't want to hurt a person by forgetting them.
But you are certainly on my friends list drizzle! :smile:

I know. :wink:

Gad said:

To be honest, I never thought I'd become a 'regular' PF member, sure I do have lots of friends who I care for, I won't list them here [:biggrin:]. But I have to say, Turbo was my first PF buddy, and micro is the last [so far :smile:] on my PF 'close' friends.

PS. Why don't you ask your wife to join PF, Turbo? And be the third PF couple here on PF. As far as I know there're Ivan+Tsu and Borek+Marzena.

Haha, True :)

Sure, PFers are my second family :)
My wife is not a computer user. She was thrilled to have Astro and his family visit us, but that was all second hand to her,

BTW, Gad, my real name is Harley. When I picked out that leather-covered recliner, and I gave my real name to the sales-lady, she grabbed my hand and said "why didn't you keep that?"

Gad said:

My wife has two degrees in physics and a degree in engineering, but she won't join. She thinks of Physics Forums as my mistress.

turbo said:
BTW, Gad, my real name is Harley. When I picked out that leather-covered recliner, and I gave my real name to the sales-lady, she grabbed my hand and said "why didn't you keep that?"
Harley! Nice name :)

George Jones said:
My wife has two degrees in physics and a degree in engineering, but she won't join. She thinks of Physics Forums as my mistress.

Obviously, you didn't tell her about the PF sisterhood! :biggrin:

Gad said:
Harley! Nice name :)
My mother was going to name me Peter James, but in a fit of unreason, she named me after my father.

haven't been here for longer enough for that.
Maybe sometime in the future, hopefully.

Your father has the same name, Turbo? This is rare over here, a few people might name a child after his father, only if the father passed away, same for girls. But again not common.

We don't name a girl after her father while the father is still alive either. Lest the angel of death come for the elder and mistakingly take the younger.

<h2>1. What is the definition of a "close PF friend"?</h2><p>A close PF friend is someone who shares a strong bond with you and supports you in your personal and professional growth. They are someone you can confide in and rely on for emotional and practical support.</p><h2>2. How do you determine if someone is a close PF friend?</h2><p>Determining if someone is a close PF friend is subjective and can vary from person to person. However, some common indicators include mutual trust, open communication, and a strong sense of understanding and empathy towards each other.</p><h2>3. Can you have more than one close PF friend?</h2><p>Yes, it is possible to have multiple close PF friends. Different individuals can fulfill different aspects of a close friendship, and it is not uncommon to have a small circle of close PF friends.</p><h2>4. How do close PF friendships benefit us?</h2><p>Close PF friendships provide a sense of belonging, support, and companionship. They can also help us navigate through challenges, provide different perspectives, and boost our mental and emotional well-being.</p><h2>5. How do you maintain a close PF friendship?</h2><p>Maintaining a close PF friendship requires effort and communication from both parties. It is essential to make time for each other, be honest and understanding, and show appreciation and support for one another.</p>

1. What is the definition of a "close PF friend"?

A close PF friend is someone who shares a strong bond with you and supports you in your personal and professional growth. They are someone you can confide in and rely on for emotional and practical support.

2. How do you determine if someone is a close PF friend?

Determining if someone is a close PF friend is subjective and can vary from person to person. However, some common indicators include mutual trust, open communication, and a strong sense of understanding and empathy towards each other.

3. Can you have more than one close PF friend?

Yes, it is possible to have multiple close PF friends. Different individuals can fulfill different aspects of a close friendship, and it is not uncommon to have a small circle of close PF friends.

4. How do close PF friendships benefit us?

Close PF friendships provide a sense of belonging, support, and companionship. They can also help us navigate through challenges, provide different perspectives, and boost our mental and emotional well-being.

5. How do you maintain a close PF friendship?

Maintaining a close PF friendship requires effort and communication from both parties. It is essential to make time for each other, be honest and understanding, and show appreciation and support for one another.