Moment of inertia for non homogeneous density.

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the moment of inertia for a special case involving a 55 gallon barrel that is almost half full and spinning at 5-10 rpm. The speaker explores different equations but notes that they are too simple for this situation and that a non-uniform density complicates the calculation. They also consider the kinetic energy of the barrel and fluid, and the potential use of torque. Ultimately, it is suggested that experimentation is the best way to determine the necessary motor size for spinning the barrel.
Teachme
Ok so I am trying to figure how I would find the moment of inertia for a special case. I have a 55 gallon barrel that is almost half way full and I am suppose to spin it roughly 5-10 rpm.

I know that to find the momement of interia of a hollow cylinder with thick walls is simply
I = 1/2M(r(1)^1+r(2)^2) yet this equation is too simple for this situation

I also know that
I = ρ ∫r^2 dV However this is for a homogenous density, which is not this case.

I am wondering what is the best way to find the moment of intertia for a non uniform density.

I have attached a picture for clarity.

Thanks for reading.

Attachments

• physics.jpg
    physics.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 622
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi Teachme! :smile:

I don't understand :redface:

if the barrel is rolling (in place) as shown in the diagram, then why would the fluid rotate at all (and so why would you need its moment of inertia)? :confused:

I think you are right. Since the fluid has no speed you are saying it does not add to the moment of inertia?. I am trying to find the total kinetic energy of the barrel and the fluid in the barrel when it is spinning 5rpm. I know that I need the moment of inertia to find the total kinetic energy... So how would I go about incorporating the the fluid inside the barrel effect my situation? Would I have to use torque for this? My final goal is finding what size motor i need to get it to spin. (not my question however).

Thank you again for your help, I appreciate it very much.

Teachme said:
… to find the total kinetic energy... So how would I go about incorporating the the fluid inside the barrel effect my situation? Would I have to use torque for this? My final goal is finding what size motor i need to get it to spin.

Well, the fluid will still slosh about a bit, so it'll have some kinetic energy, and also there'll be heating from the friction between the fluid and the barrel.

I think the only way you could find that is to carry out experiments, and actually measure either the power needed or (for example) the temperature rise in the fluid.

I would first like to commend you for your efforts in trying to understand and solve this problem. The moment of inertia for a non-homogeneous density can be a bit more complex to calculate, but it is certainly possible.

One approach would be to divide the barrel into smaller sections and calculate the moment of inertia for each section separately. This can be done by using the equation you mentioned, I = ρ ∫r^2 dV, where ρ is the density of each section and dV is the volume element. Then, you can sum up the moments of inertia for each section to get the total moment of inertia for the entire barrel.

Another approach would be to use numerical methods, such as Monte Carlo simulations, to approximate the moment of inertia. This involves randomly sampling points within the barrel and calculating the moment of inertia based on the density at each point. This method can provide a more accurate result, but it may be more time-consuming and require more computational resources.

Ultimately, the best way to find the moment of inertia for a non-homogeneous density would depend on the specific characteristics of the barrel and the level of accuracy required. I would recommend consulting with a physics or engineering expert for a more precise and tailored solution.

1. What is moment of inertia for non homogeneous density?

Moment of inertia for non homogeneous density is a physical quantity that measures the resistance of an object to changes in its rotational motion, specifically when the density of the object is not uniform throughout its volume. It is a measure of how spread out the mass of an object is around an axis of rotation.

2. How is moment of inertia for non homogeneous density calculated?

The moment of inertia for non homogeneous density can be calculated by integrating the product of the mass and its distance from the axis of rotation squared, over the entire volume of the object. This can be represented by the formula I = ∫r^2dm, where I is the moment of inertia, r is the distance from the axis of rotation, and dm is the differential mass element.

3. What is the difference between moment of inertia for non homogeneous density and moment of inertia for homogeneous density?

The moment of inertia for homogeneous density assumes that the density of the object is uniform throughout its volume, whereas the moment of inertia for non homogeneous density takes into account the varying density of the object. This means that the moment of inertia for non homogeneous density will be different at different points along the axis of rotation.

4. How does the distribution of mass affect the moment of inertia for non homogeneous density?

The distribution of mass has a significant impact on the moment of inertia for non homogeneous density. Objects with their mass concentrated closer to the axis of rotation will have a lower moment of inertia compared to objects with their mass distributed further away from the axis of rotation.

5. What are some real world applications of moment of inertia for non homogeneous density?

Moment of inertia for non homogeneous density is an important concept in fields such as engineering, physics, and mechanics. It is used in the design and analysis of rotating machinery, such as engines and turbines, as well as in understanding the motion of celestial bodies, such as planets and stars. It is also relevant in sports, where it is used to explain the movements and stability of rotating objects, such as figure skaters and divers.