What is causing low frequency oscillations in LM324 OP-AMP output?

• Thread starter ultimateaim
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Output
In summary, the LM324 was used as an attenuator for pure DC application, and 50 mV low frequency oscillations were observed. It is possible that the reason for the oscillations is the power supply, and a by pass cap may be necessary to reduce the noise.
ultimateaim
At output of LM324, 50 mV low frequency (Around 5 to 10 Hz) oscillations were observed when it was used as attenuator for pure DC application...what could be the reason?

Engineering news on Phys.org
ultimateaim said:
At output of LM324, 50 mV low frequency (Around 5 to 10 Hz) oscillations were observed when it was used as attenuator for pure DC application...what could be the reason?

Welcome to the PF.

Could you please post your schematic showing all connections and power supplies, and describe how you made this measurement?

it is just difference amplifier with gain of 1/5

Attachments

• untitled.bmp
    260.6 KB · Views: 450
You have not post the value of the components. BUT LM324 is unity gain stable, your circuit cannot cause oscillation. It must be something else. For low frequency oscillation, most likely is power supply. Do you have by pass cap on the power supply?

Take a picture of your circuit. Layout is everything, circuit is always very simple. Your circuit has no problem on the schematic.

Last edited:
Value of components are R119 =R110=99k , R112=R117=499k...gain is 1/5 ...it is atteneuator...and input is 3.2 V DC

ultimateaim said:
Value of components are R119 =R110=99k , R112=R117=499k...gain is 1/5 ...it is atteneuator...and input is 3.2 V DC

Your resistor value is a little high for my taste unless it is necessary.

this is just a simple differential amp. You have a cap C93 that make the circuit unbalance, take it off and see whether the noise goes away. If you need the cap, you have to put one across R110 to balance to get common mode cancellation. But this is only affecting high frequency end, I don't think this is a problem. But worth a try.

If that don't solve the problem, take a picture. With such high resistance, layout is very critical, long leads in the wrong spot can pick up all sort of noise.

Capacitor is Not connected(NC)...is that noise?
what it should be called? I have attached o/p waveform ...Each division is 50 mV...is that noise? what it should be called?

Attachments

• vlcsnap-2012-04-13-00h13m53s155.png
    vlcsnap-2012-04-13-00h13m53s155.png
    31.9 KB · Views: 468
Waveform is captured in CRO AC coupling mode...Even in multimeter oscillation was clearly visible as digits kept on changing...

Have you tried swapping the op-amp? Occasionally you get a defective one that "works" but has a high noise level.

I need a picture of your physical circuit. I want to see your layout. The waveform don't look oscillation, it is some noise you pickup.

I also need a scope picture with longer time scale to see the repetition. Tell me the time scale as I can't see it. It looks like some periodic signal from the picture, but need wider time scale to tell.

Picture first, talk is cheap at this point, if you did it right, the circuit should work, no if and buts about it.

What is an LM324OP-AMP output?

An LM324OP-AMP output refers to the output signal of an LM324 operational amplifier (op-amp). It is an electronic device that amplifies an input signal and produces an output signal that is larger than the input signal.

How does an LM324OP-AMP output work?

The LM324 op-amp has four internal amplifiers that can be used to amplify different input signals. Each amplifier has an input and output terminal, as well as a power supply terminal. The output signal is produced by the amplification of the input signal using the power supply voltage.

What is the voltage range of an LM324OP-AMP output?

The voltage range of an LM324 op-amp output depends on the power supply voltage and the amplification factor of the amplifier. It can range from near 0 volts to the maximum power supply voltage.

What are the common applications of an LM324OP-AMP output?

The LM324 op-amp is commonly used in electronic circuits as a voltage comparator, signal amplifier, and signal conditioner. It is also used in audio amplifiers, precision rectifiers, and voltage regulators.

How can I troubleshoot issues with an LM324OP-AMP output?

If you are experiencing issues with the LM324 op-amp output, check the power supply voltage, input signal, and connections. You can also use a multimeter to measure the input and output voltages to ensure they are within the expected range. If the problem persists, consult the manufacturer's datasheet or seek professional help.