Solving Complex Equation: Real & Imaginary Parts of z=x+iy

In summary, LCKurtz and SammyS were trying to solve an equation that has two unknowns, x and y. They replaced one of the unknowns with x-y=7 and got the correct answers of x=3 and y=-1.
DryRun
Gold Member
Homework Statement
Given that the real and imaginary parts of the complex number [itex]z=x+iy[/itex] satisfy the equation [itex](2-i)x-(1+3i)y=7[/itex]. Find x and y.

The attempt at a solution
I know it's quite simple. Just equate the real and imaginary parts, but i checked and redid it again, but the answer still evades me!
[tex](2x-y-7) + i(-x-3y)=0
\\2x-y-7=x
\\x-y=7\, (1)
\\-x-3y=y
\\4y+x=0\, (2)
\\x=28/5
\\y=-7/5
[/tex]
I replaced in the original equation but i can't get 7 on the L.H.S.
The correct answers: x=3 and y=-1.

Physics news on Phys.org
sharks said:
Homework Statement
Given that the real and imaginary parts of the complex number [itex]z=x+iy[/itex] satisfy the equation [itex](2-i)x-(1+3i)y=7[/itex]. Find x and y.

The attempt at a solution
I know it's quite simple. Just equate the real and imaginary parts, but i checked and redid it again, but the answer still evades me!
\\2x-y-7=x
\\x-y=7\, (1)
\\-x-3y=y
\\4y+x=0\, (2)
\\x=28/5
\\y=-7/5
[/tex]
I replaced in the original equation but i can't get 7 on the L.H.S.
The correct answers: x=3 and y=-1.

Why aren't those 0 on the right side?

sharks said:

\\2x-y-7=x
\\ \dots
\\-x-3y=y
\\ \dots [/tex]
When you write:
[itex]2x-y-7=x[/itex]

and

[itex]-x-3y=y\ ,[/itex]​
you are saying that
[itex](2x-y-7) + i(-x-3y)=z\ .[/itex]​

That's not what you're trying to solve !

I was confused about z=x+iy. I thought i had to compare the real and imaginary parts of z with those of the equation in order to solve it. I now realize that it has absolutely nothing to do with z. All i had to do was solve the equation independently and ignore whatever was given for z.

Solving:[tex]2x-y=7
\\-x-3y=0[/tex]I get the correct answers.

Thank you, LCKurtz and SammyS. :smile:

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between real and imaginary parts in a complex equation?

The real part of a complex number represents the value on the horizontal axis, while the imaginary part represents the value on the vertical axis. In other words, the real part is the coefficient of the real number, while the imaginary part is the coefficient of the imaginary number.

2. How do I solve a complex equation with both real and imaginary parts?

To solve a complex equation, you must first separate the real and imaginary parts. Then, you can treat each part as a separate equation and solve for the unknown variable. Finally, you can combine the real and imaginary parts to get the solution to the complex equation.

3. Can a complex equation have more than one solution?

Yes, a complex equation can have multiple solutions. This is because complex numbers have both a real and imaginary part, so there can be multiple combinations of values that satisfy the equation.

4. Is there a specific method for solving complex equations?

There are several methods for solving complex equations, such as substitution, elimination, and graphing. The best method to use depends on the complexity of the equation and personal preference.

5. Can complex equations be used in real-world applications?

Yes, complex equations are used in many real-world applications, such as engineering, physics, and economics. They can be used to model and solve problems involving electrical circuits, fluid dynamics, and financial forecasting, among others.