Calculating Quantum Massless Photon Propagator

In summary, to extend the completeness condition for off-shell photons, we need to use the transversality condition. This will give us the desired result and help us in completing the calculation
praharmitra
So I want to calculate the quantum massless photon propagator. To do this, I write
[tex]
A_\mu(x) = \sum\limits_{i=1}^2 \int \frac{d^3p}{(2\pi)^3} \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\omega_p}} \left( \epsilon_\mu^i (p) a_{p,i} e^{-i p \cdot x} + { \epsilon_\mu^i} ^* (p) a_{p,i}^\dagger e^{i p \cdot x} \right)
[/tex]
where [itex]\epsilon_\mu^i(p),~ i = 1,2[/itex] are appropriate basis polarizations in the gauge we choose to work in. I then calculate the propagator, which is defined as [itex] \left< 0 \right| T \left\{ A_\mu(x) A_\nu(y) \right\} \left| 0\right>[/itex]. Using the above formula, I calculate this. I get
[tex]
\left< 0 \right| T \left\{ A_\mu(x) A_\nu(y) \right\} \left| 0\right> = \int \frac{d^4p}{(2\pi)^4} \frac{i}{p^2 + i\epsilon} \left( \sum\limits_{i=1}^2 \epsilon_\mu^i (p) {\epsilon_\nu^i}^*(p)\right) e^{-i p \cdot (x-y)}
[/tex]
To complete this calculation, I now have to show (in the general [itex]\xi[/itex] gauge),
[tex]
\sum\limits_{i=1}^2 \epsilon_\mu^i (p) {\epsilon_\nu^i}^*(p) = -\eta_{\mu\nu} + \left( 1 - \xi \right) \frac{p_\mu p_\nu}{p^2}
[/tex]
This last step is where I am getting stuck. I know that this is the classical propagator for the photon in the general [itex]\xi[/itex] gauge. But how do I relate that to the polarizations exactly? Also, I know that for on-shell photons, (with [itex]p^2 = 0[/itex]), the polarization sums give
[tex]
\sum\limits_{i=1}^2 \epsilon_\mu^i (p) {\epsilon_\nu^i}^*(p) = -\eta_{\mu\nu}+ \frac{p_\mu {\tilde p}_\nu + {\tilde p}_\mu p_\nu}{p \cdot {\tilde p}}
[/tex]
where [itex] {\tilde p}^\mu = (p^0, - \vec{p}) [/itex]. I have no clue how to extend this for off-shell photons.

Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org

I can definitely understand your confusion and difficulty in extending the polarization sum for off-shell photons. Let me try to break it down for you and hopefully it will help you in completing your calculation.

Firstly, let's define the polarization vectors \epsilon_\mu^i(p) for off-shell photons. In general, these vectors can be chosen to satisfy the following conditions:

1) Orthogonality: \epsilon_\mu^i(p) \epsilon_\nu^{i*}(p) = -\eta_{\mu\nu}

2) Transversality: p^\mu \epsilon_\mu^i(p) = 0

3) Completeness: \sum\limits_{i=1}^2 \epsilon_\mu^i(p) {\epsilon_\nu^i}^*(p) = -\eta_{\mu\nu} + \frac{p_\mu {\tilde p}_\nu + {\tilde p}_\mu p_\nu}{p \cdot {\tilde p}}

where {\tilde p}^\mu = (p^0, - \vec{p}) .

Note that the third condition is the same as the one you have mentioned for on-shell photons. This is because for on-shell photons, p^2 = 0 and therefore p \cdot {\tilde p} = 0, leading to the simplification of the completeness condition.

Now, to extend this for off-shell photons, we need to use the transversality condition. Remember that for on-shell photons, we can write the completeness condition as \sum\limits_{i=1}^2 \epsilon_\mu^i(p) {\epsilon_\nu^i}^*(p) = -\eta_{\mu\nu} + \frac{p_\mu p_\nu}{p^2}. This is possible because for on-shell photons, p^\mu is a null vector and therefore p^\mu \epsilon_\mu^i(p) = 0. However, for off-shell photons, p^\mu is no longer a null vector and therefore we cannot simply write p_\mu p_\nu in place of p \cdot {\tilde p}. This is where the transversality condition comes in. Using this condition, we can show that p_\mu p_\nu = p \cdot {\tilde p} - p^2 \eta_{\mu\nu}. Sub

1. What is the purpose of calculating the quantum massless photon propagator?

The quantum massless photon propagator is a mathematical tool used in quantum field theory to calculate the probability amplitude for a photon to propagate from one point to another in space-time.

2. How is the quantum massless photon propagator calculated?

The quantum massless photon propagator is calculated using Feynman diagrams, which represent the possible paths a photon can take between two points in space-time.

3. What factors influence the value of the quantum massless photon propagator?

The value of the quantum massless photon propagator is influenced by several factors, including the energy and momentum of the photon, the distance between the two points in space-time, and the presence of other particles in the space-time region.

4. What is the significance of the quantum massless photon propagator in quantum field theory?

The quantum massless photon propagator plays a crucial role in quantum field theory as it allows for the calculation of important physical quantities, such as cross sections and decay rates, which can be used to make predictions about the behavior of particles in the quantum world.

5. Are there any limitations to the use of the quantum massless photon propagator?

While the quantum massless photon propagator is a powerful tool in quantum field theory, it does have limitations. For example, it is only applicable to massless particles, and it cannot account for the effects of gravity. Additionally, it is an approximation and may not accurately describe certain phenomena at very high energies.