Publishing a solution to a Mathematics Problem

In summary: However, if it is just a few symbols, then depending on the journal, they may be willing to accept it as is.In summary, if you have a new proof for an unsolved problem that is not formally rigorous, you should take steps to make it more formal and then post it on the forums for other mathematicians to review.
Frogeyedpeas
Suppose that an amateur mathematician finds a solution to a major unsolved problem and they have written their full proof and would now like to publish it somewhere or at least have it critiqued by the professional community. What steps should they take?

Additionally, let's say that the proof in question is completely correct (morally true) but is not formally rigorous (ie it has a lot of writing that could be converted into symbols). Would a journal accept this proof or would they demand that it has to be fully-formally rigorous? What steps must be taken so that they can accept the proof for publication?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey Frogeyedpeas.

For something like a proof, yes it would have to be a rigorous one. Each journal has specific standards and requirements for submitting articles and depending on the nature of the journal itself, even if you provided a well polished paper that has been at least internally reviewed by some of your peers, there's no gaurantee that it will get put it and you can read some of the threads here on their experiences of submitting journal articles and they were/are professors.

In short, it's best if you actually visit the website of a specific journal and get the criteria for submission and take it from there.

As a start though, I'd recommend to take your idea and condense it into something that is unambiguous and written for mathematicians to understand and then post this in the relevant section in the forums. We have a lot of experienced people here who will be able to least find any glaring flaws if they exist.

There are other forums as well like stackexchange, but I recommend this way because its not an intrusive way of verification and people are willing to do this kind of thing online because, well, this is the purpose of online forums ;).

I wouldn't recommend you email someone and ask them to check it for you, but if you prepare your proof in simple terms and then create a thread asking for verification, you should get a response with some feedback.

chiro said:
As a start though, I'd recommend to take your idea and condense it into something that is unambiguous and written for mathematicians to understand and then post this in the relevant section in the forums. We have a lot of experienced people here who will be able to least find any glaring flaws if they exist.

Er... no. This is in violation of the PF Rules.

PF Rules said:
Physics Forums is not intended as an alternative to the usual professional venues for discussion and review of new ideas, e.g. personal contacts, conferences, and peer review before publication. If you have a new theory or idea, this is not the place to look for feedback on it or help in developing it.

Zz.

Theories are not proofs. We're not talking about a theory for physics or chemistry, we're talking about a mathematical proof which is entirely different.

There are many instances where people talk about mathematical proofs in the forums.

I can understand why you moderate scientific theories, but what's the premise behind a mathematical proof?

Maybe you could try putting it on arXiv.

Well, it's not just a proof he's talking about, it's a completely new solution to a problem that currently has no solution that the poster is talking about, so I can see how it violates the rules. It isn't the fact that it's a proof that makes it against the rules, it's the use of this forum to peer review your new solution before publication that isn't allowed.

Also, I'm super curious...can you at least say which problem it is?

chiro said:
Theories are not proofs. We're not talking about a theory for physics or chemistry, we're talking about a mathematical proof which is entirely different.

There are many instances where people talk about mathematical proofs in the forums.

I can understand why you moderate scientific theories, but what's the premise behind a mathematical proof?

As has been mentioned in the previous post, if it is new, and the member hasn't published it in a peer-reviewed journal, then trying to get feedback and working it out on here is in violation of the rules. It doesn't matter if it is a "proof", a "theory", or a spherical cow.

Zz.

Frogeyedpeas said:
Additionally, let's say that the proof in question is completely correct (morally true) but is not formally rigorous (ie it has a lot of writing that could be converted into symbols). Would a journal accept this proof or would they demand that it has to be fully-formally rigorous?

There is no such thing as a moral or immoral (or even amoral) mathematical proof. Either it's logically correct or it isn't. And if it isn't correct, it isn't a proof.

The notation doesn't matter so much as the logic - though obviously if you are using lots of words instead of well known math symbols, that is both rather pointless and easy to fix.

1. How do I publish a solution to a mathematics problem?

Publishing a solution to a mathematics problem typically involves writing a paper detailing your solution and submitting it to a mathematics journal for review and potential publication. It is important to follow the specific guidelines and formatting requirements of the journal you are submitting to.

2. How do I choose which journal to submit my solution to?

When choosing a journal to submit your solution to, consider the specific topic or branch of mathematics your problem falls under and seek out journals that specialize in that area. It is also important to consider the reputation and impact factor of the journal.

3. Do I need to include proofs in my solution paper?

Yes, including proofs is essential in a mathematics solution paper. Your paper should provide a clear and logical explanation of your solution, including all necessary proofs and mathematical reasoning.

4. What is the review process like for publishing a solution to a mathematics problem?

The review process for mathematics journals typically involves peer review, where experts in the field will evaluate your paper for accuracy, clarity, and contribution to the field. This process can take several months and may involve revisions before a decision is made on publication.

5. Are there any ethical considerations when publishing a solution to a mathematics problem?

Yes, it is important to ensure that your solution is original and not plagiarized from others' work. It is also important to properly cite any sources used and to follow ethical guidelines for authorship and credit. Failure to do so can result in retraction of your published solution and damage to your reputation in the academic community.