Differential equations proof

In summary: Yes, we have the cosine. Did you read my previous post, copied above? That is part of your problem, to figure out how to change the cosine to a sine. I have helped you with half of your problem. Now you work on finishing...
th3chemist

Homework Statement

Show that Acos(ωt) + Bsin(ωt) can be written in the form r*sin(ωt - θ). Determine r and θ in terms of A and B. If Rcos(ωt - ε) = r*sin(ωt - θ), deermine the relationship among R, r, ε and θ.

Homework Equations

Trig identities.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really confused on this question. What I first tried to do is to use the sum-difference forumla on r*sin(ωt - θ) = r*sin(ωt)cos(θ) - r*cos(ωt)sin(θ).

Physics news on Phys.org
th3chemist said:

Homework Statement

Show that Acos(ωt) + Bsin(ωt) can be written in the form r*sin(ωt - θ). Determine r and θ in terms of A and B. If Rcos(ωt - ε) = r*sin(ωt - θ), deermine the relationship among R, r, ε and θ.

Homework Equations

Trig identities.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really confused on this question. What I first tried to do is to use the sum-difference forumla on r*sin(ωt - θ) = r*sin(ωt)cos(θ) - r*cos(ωt)sin(θ).

Start by writing your expression like this$$
\sqrt{A^2+B^2}\left( \frac A {\sqrt{A^2+B^2}}\cos(\omega t)+ \frac B {\sqrt{A^2+B^2}}
\sin(\omega t) \right)$$That quantity in the large parentheses looks like an addition formula. Think about a right triangle with legs ##A## and ##B##.

Is that from the Pythagorean theorem?
I'm still unsure how to set this problem up :(

th3chemist said:
Is that from the Pythagorean theorem?
I'm still unsure how to set this problem up :(

Did you draw the triangle I suggested? Do those fractions look like sines and cosines of some angle? Can you make the expression in large parentheses look like an addition formula?

It would be cos(theta) and sin(theta)

th3chemist said:
It would be cos(theta) and sin(theta)

So...?

LCKurtz said:
So...?

If I use the sum-difference identity I would get cosine term not the sine :(

Isn't ##\displaystyle{\frac A {\sqrt{A^2+B^2}}}## the cosine of some angle in your triangle?

LCKurtz said:
Isn't ##\displaystyle{\frac A {\sqrt{A^2+B^2}}}## the cosine of some angle in your triangle?

yeah so you get cos(θ)cos(ωt) + sin(θ)(sin(ωt))

th3chemist said:
yeah so you get cos(θ)cos(ωt) + sin(θ)(sin(ωt))

This gives you the form ##r\cos(\omega t -\theta)## (don't forget there is that square root out front). Now getting it in a sine form is what I think last sentence in your problem is about.

LCKurtz said:
This gives you the form ##r\cos(\omega t -\theta)## (don't forget there is that square root out front). Now getting it in a sine form is what I think last sentence in your problem is about.

But I did not show the first part. I'm quite sure though that if you have rcos(θ) and rsin(θ) they're constants.

Here is something else I did. I got r*sin(wt)cos(theta) - r*cos(wt)sin(theta)
Then I set rewrote as r*cos(theta) + (-rsin(theta)cos(wt)

I can then get A = r*cos(theta) and B = (-r*sin(theta))

th3chemist said:
But I did not show the first part.
Haven't we shown$$
A\cos(\omega t)+B\sin(\omega t) = \sqrt{A^2+B^2}\left( \frac A {\sqrt{A^2+B^2}}\cos(\omega t)+ \frac B {\sqrt{A^2+B^2}}
\sin(\omega t) \right) = \sqrt{A^2+B^2}(\cos\theta\cos\omega t + \sin\theta \sin(\omega t) = \sqrt{A^2+B^2}\cos(\omega t - \theta)$$To get it to a sine function I think you have to work the last sentence in the original problem.

LCKurtz said:
Haven't we shown$$
A\cos(\omega t)+B\sin(\omega t) = \sqrt{A^2+B^2}\left( \frac A {\sqrt{A^2+B^2}}\cos(\omega t)+ \frac B {\sqrt{A^2+B^2}}
\sin(\omega t) \right) = \sqrt{A^2+B^2}(\cos\theta\cos\omega t + \sin\theta \sin(\omega t) = \sqrt{A^2+B^2}\cos(\omega t - \theta)$$To get it to a sine function I think you have to work the last sentence in the original problem.

What can I do though? Use the identity on both sides? The first line states to write it in the sin form. We did it in cos :(.

LCKurtz said:
Haven't we shown$$

th3chemist said:
What can I do though? Use the identity on both sides? The first line states to write it in the sin form. We did it in cos :(.

Yes, we have the cosine. Did you read my previous post, copied above? That is part of your problem, to figure out how to change the cosine to a sine. I have helped you with half of your problem. Now you work on finishing it.

Is A = r*cos(theta) and B = (-r*sin(theta)) correct for the first part then? To get theta and r in terms of A and B?

Hold on, I have a question. How can you assume that will give you cosine instead of sine? If I switch, A and B I would get sine.

th3chemist said:
Is A = r*cos(theta) and B = (-r*sin(theta)) correct for the first part then? To get theta and r in terms of A and B?

You have A and B in terms of r and theta. You want r and theta in terms of A and B.

th3chemist said:
Hold on, I have a question. How can you assume that will give you cosine instead of sine? If I switch, A and B I would get sine.

You can get either a sine or cosine form. That shouldn't surprise you because anything that can be expressed as one can be expressed in terms of the other since ##\sin\theta = \cos(\frac \pi 2 -\theta)## and similarly for the cosine.

woud ε = be pi/2 - wt - theta?

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is used to model various physical phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What is the purpose of proving a differential equation?

The purpose of proving a differential equation is to validate its accuracy and ensure that it is a correct representation of the relationship between the function and its derivatives. This helps to ensure the reliability and usefulness of the equation in predicting and analyzing real-world phenomena.

3. How do you prove a differential equation?

To prove a differential equation, you must use mathematical techniques such as integration, differentiation, and substitution to manipulate the equation and show that it satisfies all necessary conditions. This involves showing that the equation is consistent with known solutions and that it satisfies certain properties, such as being continuous and differentiable.

4. What are some common techniques used in proving differential equations?

Some common techniques used in proving differential equations include separation of variables, variation of parameters, and the method of undetermined coefficients. These techniques involve manipulating the equation and solving for the unknown function and its derivatives.

5. Why is it important to understand and be able to prove differential equations?

Understanding and being able to prove differential equations is important because it allows us to accurately model and analyze real-world phenomena. It also helps us to develop new equations and make predictions about future behavior based on known data. Additionally, it is a fundamental concept in mathematics and is used in many fields of science and engineering.