Fossil and rock identification

In summary, people have found rocks with strips of wood and fossils from the Pennsylvanian period. There are also rocks with orange yam-like fossils.
I can't tell if it's just the angle the picture is taken from, but it looks like the holes are more concentrated in certain areas than others. Is that an accurate assessment or am I just imagining things?

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
phlip180 said:
I can't tell if it's just the angle the picture is taken from, but it looks like the holes are more concentrated in certain areas than others. Is that an accurate assessment or am I just imagining things?
I'll try to get better pictures from all angles. Yes, the holes are not over the entire rock. I just found a large boulder that has a lot of little "pockmarks" all over it, but nothing like the holes on this rock, I'll get more pictures this week, we're expecting severe storms tomorrow.

I have seen a lot of rocks like that in Missouri. I've noticed they tend to be, or come from, large boulders. Since they're sedimentary and found in the midwest, I assume they were probably formed during the Mississippian Period, when the midwest was underwater. That's all I know about them so far, and you might have already known all that, or have a different theory. I'm going to a nature center this weekend, so I'll do a little research while I'm there.

I was tamping the dirt around some fence post in preparation to re-stretch the wire when I heard a clank. This is what I pulled out of the ground. It's about 4 1/2 inches long and weights about 10 ounces. I checked with a magnetic, but it's not ferrous.

attachment.php?attachmentid=52677&stc=1&d=1352152016.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=52678&stc=1&d=1352152016.jpg

Attachments

• tamprock1.jpg
    tamprock1.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 745
  • tamprock2.jpg
    tamprock2.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 769
Bigger pics? You can send me the files.

Evo said:
Bigger pics? You can send me the files.
Done. Thank you.

dlgoff said:
Done. Thank you.
I've seen that weird yellow-orange stuff coming out of rocks before, but I'll have to look again.

I'm so disappointed that so many fossils and fossil rocks posted online either have no pictures or just black and white drawings, many just have a written description, which is SO ANNOYING.

Evo said:
I've seen that weird yellow-orange stuff coming out of rocks before, but I'll have to look again.

I'm so disappointed that so many fossils and fossil rocks posted online either have no pictures or just black and white drawings, many just have a written description, which is SO ANNOYING.

That yellow-orange stuff is very hard which was surprising to me and after looking even closer, could be something fossilized. And from the weight, I thought it surly had iron in it.

Thank you for looking.

dlgoff said:
I was tamping the dirt around some fence post in preparation to re-stretch the wire when I heard a clank. This is what I pulled out of the ground. It's about 4 1/2 inches long and weights about 10 ounces. I checked with a magnetic, but it's not ferrous.

Any progress? The bluish greenish hue may indicate copper. Have you considered bornite or maybe chalcite

Just my
twocents.gif

It looks like a fine-grained slate or shale but it could also be a basalt. The dark color of the fracture surface suggest it could be a mafic basalt or pyroxene. The orange could be manganese compounds (manganese oxide is orange) or iron oxides, both present in mafic basalts. If you look closely at a freshly fractured surface do you see small white veins of mineral? Just to the west of where I live near San Antonio is an intrusion of basalt that is richly veined with magnesium compounds. When mined and processed into gravel, piles of this material leach out the magnesium when it rains producing puddles of white magnesia everywhere.

chemisttree said:
It looks like a fine-grained slate or shale but it could also be a basalt. The dark color of the fracture surface suggest it could be a mafic basalt or pyroxene. The orange could be manganese compounds (manganese oxide is orange) or iron oxides, both present in mafic basalts. If you look closely at a freshly fractured surface do you see small white veins of mineral? Just to the west of where I live near San Antonio is an intrusion of basalt that is richly veined with magnesium compounds. When mined and processed into gravel, piles of this material leach out the magnesium when it rains producing puddles of white magnesia everywhere.
DL sent me more pictures, they are actually light colored stones and the "blue" color was a problem with the camera lighting.

Is the fracture surface also light?

chemisttree said:
Is the fracture surface also light?
The light was from one of those CFLs causing is to appear bluer than it is. Here's two taken in sunlight.

attachment.php?attachmentid=52765&stc=1&d=1352342276.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=52766&stc=1&d=1352342276.jpg

Attachments

• insunlight2.jpg
    insunlight2.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 559
  • insunlight1.jpg
    insunlight1.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 576
Now it looks like a fossilized rhino horn! So I take it the fresh fracture surface (facing down (!) in both pics) is light colored in the brighter light?

chemisttree said:
Now it looks like a fossilized rhino horn! So I take it the fresh fracture surface (facing down (!) in both pics) is light colored in the brighter light?

Actually it's cross section is more triangular shaped.

Side 1

Side 2

attachment.php?attachmentid=52766&stc=1&d=1352342276.jpg

Side 3 (bottom)

Evo said:
This is what I call "swimming yams". Any guesses?

Your "swimming yams" look like rip-up clasts from some sort of flow - based on how they are aligned. Do you happen to know what the matrix is surrounding the yams? And what are the yams made out of?

Evo said:
Notice the empty indentations? That's where yams fell out.

Normally, the fossils are the usual hard white substance. But I have found a large number of rocks recently where the fossils are of a soft, crumbly orange substance. These are all from this area, both the white and the orange. I'm wondering what the orange yam like fossils could be.

Here's an orange fossil of possibly a crinoid?

You have a trace fossil here called a worm burrow where a critter crawled through the carbonate mud and the void space that was left was then subsequently filled by sand that has been loosely cemented. Unfortunately, it isn't possible to tell exactly which sort of critter made the burrow; however, more questions could be answered if it was possible to tell which direction was stratigraphically "up".

ngruman said:
You have a trace fossil here called a worm burrow where a critter crawled through the carbonate mud and the void space that was left was then subsequently filled by sand that has been loosely cemented. Unfortunately, it isn't possible to tell exactly which sort of critter made the burrow; however, more questions could be answered if it was possible to tell which direction was stratigraphically "up".
This one is definitely a crinoid. I've found others that confirmed it.

ngruman said:
Your "swimming yams" look like rip-up clasts from some sort of flow - based on how they are aligned. Do you happen to know what the matrix is surrounding the yams? And what are the yams made out of?
I'll verify the rock they're in tomorrow. The yams look like clay.

Andre said:
Any progress? The bluish greenish hue may indicate copper. Have you considered bornite or maybe chalcite

I need a spectrometer Andre. I did a "flame test" with a propane torch directed on a small area of the edge; no change in flame color. :frown:

dlgoff said:
I need a spectrometer

I just happen to know that Lisab has one; working with it daily.

Andre said:
I just happen to know that Lisab has one; working with it daily.

Really? I would send the rock to her if she were interested. What a deal.

When I was a kid I, boxed and stored some of my rocks at my parents house. I discovered them a couple of days ago while going through an old shed; hence the bump.

The boxes where still taped as I had left them and since I hadn't seen then for a long time, it was like opening Christmas presents. Here a couple pic I just took.

http://imageshack.us/a/img41/5697/q84a.jpg [Broken]

http://imageshack.us/a/img69/6713/atgl.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Oooh, very nice rocks and fossils! They are digging near here ( 2 blocks away) and have a mountian of fossil rock and with the cooler weather that's hit, I'm going to go down there and do some fossil picking.

Do you know what this fossil is? A plant or a fish?

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/5614/08hz.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd say definitely a leaf.

Evo said:
I'd say definitely a leaf.
Thank you.

I have some large petrified bones that came out of the side of the Kansas River bank. I believe they are from a bison; back bones, ribs, and thigh. I need to see if I can find them.

Ms Music said:
Lucky!

I have 4 days off work, (Thurs - Sun) so I will either a/ forget this thread completely, or b/ remember and post some pictures. Is it okay to post pictures of collections in this thread even though it is called "fossil and rock IDENTIFICATION"?

Obviously the answer was a/. Forgot this thread completely. :grumpy:

Here is my arrow head. I had leaned down to pick up a flake that I had spotted, then noticed a piece of glass sticking edgewise out of the dirt. I decided it was best to remove the glass and throw it away in a garbage can, so I flicked it out with my fingernail and instead found it to be THIS:

407661822.jpg

Yes, it is clear. :biggrin:

Ms Music said:
Obviously the answer was a/. Forgot this thread completely. :grumpy:

Here is my arrow head. I had leaned down to pick up a flake that I had spotted, then noticed a piece of glass sticking edgewise out of the dirt. I decided it was best to remove the glass and throw it away in a garbage can, so I flicked it out with my fingernail and instead found it to be THIS:

407661822.jpg

Yes, it is clear. :biggrin:
Oh wow!

The weather is getting cooler and that mountain of fossil rock is calling me. There's a little road that they put a gate across and a "no trespassing' sign, but there's no fence on either side of the gate, so I assume it's ok to just walk into the field where they're bulldozing the rocks into a mountain before they haul it away. I have no intention of going through the gate, that would be wrong. :smile: I just know there are some awesome fossils in those rocks.

<h2>What is the difference between a fossil and a rock?</h2><p>A fossil is the preserved remains or impression of a living organism from a past geological age. It is formed through a process called fossilization, where minerals replace the original organic material. A rock, on the other hand, is a naturally occurring solid substance composed of one or more minerals. Rocks do not contain any organic material and are formed through various geological processes.</p><h2>How do scientists identify fossils and rocks?</h2><p>Scientists use a variety of methods to identify fossils and rocks. These methods include visual examination, chemical analysis, and microscopic analysis. They may also use specialized tools such as microscopes and x-rays to examine the physical and chemical properties of the sample.</p><h2>What are the different types of fossils?</h2><p>There are several types of fossils, including body fossils, trace fossils, and molecular fossils. Body fossils are the preserved remains of an organism, such as bones, shells, or teeth. Trace fossils are evidence of an organism's activity, such as footprints or burrows. Molecular fossils are the preserved organic molecules of an organism, such as DNA or proteins.</p><h2>How do scientists determine the age of fossils and rocks?</h2><p>Scientists use a variety of methods to determine the age of fossils and rocks. These methods include radiometric dating, which measures the decay of radioactive elements, and relative dating, which compares the placement of fossils and rocks in different layers of sediment. Scientists may also use index fossils, which are fossils that are known to have lived during a specific time period, to help determine the age of a sample.</p><h2>Why is the study of fossils and rocks important?</h2><p>The study of fossils and rocks is important for several reasons. It helps us understand the history of life on Earth and how different species have evolved over time. It also provides information about past environments and how they have changed. Additionally, the study of fossils and rocks can help us predict future changes in the Earth's climate and ecosystems. Finally, fossils and rocks are important for industries such as oil and gas exploration, as they can provide valuable information about the location and composition of natural resources.</p>

What is the difference between a fossil and a rock?

A fossil is the preserved remains or impression of a living organism from a past geological age. It is formed through a process called fossilization, where minerals replace the original organic material. A rock, on the other hand, is a naturally occurring solid substance composed of one or more minerals. Rocks do not contain any organic material and are formed through various geological processes.

How do scientists identify fossils and rocks?

Scientists use a variety of methods to identify fossils and rocks. These methods include visual examination, chemical analysis, and microscopic analysis. They may also use specialized tools such as microscopes and x-rays to examine the physical and chemical properties of the sample.

What are the different types of fossils?

There are several types of fossils, including body fossils, trace fossils, and molecular fossils. Body fossils are the preserved remains of an organism, such as bones, shells, or teeth. Trace fossils are evidence of an organism's activity, such as footprints or burrows. Molecular fossils are the preserved organic molecules of an organism, such as DNA or proteins.

How do scientists determine the age of fossils and rocks?

Scientists use a variety of methods to determine the age of fossils and rocks. These methods include radiometric dating, which measures the decay of radioactive elements, and relative dating, which compares the placement of fossils and rocks in different layers of sediment. Scientists may also use index fossils, which are fossils that are known to have lived during a specific time period, to help determine the age of a sample.

Why is the study of fossils and rocks important?

The study of fossils and rocks is important for several reasons. It helps us understand the history of life on Earth and how different species have evolved over time. It also provides information about past environments and how they have changed. Additionally, the study of fossils and rocks can help us predict future changes in the Earth's climate and ecosystems. Finally, fossils and rocks are important for industries such as oil and gas exploration, as they can provide valuable information about the location and composition of natural resources.