Relative humidity calculations.

In summary, the speaker was given a temperature and relative humidity and needed to calculate the absolute humidity. Using the Antoine equation, they calculated the mole fraction of water vapor but forgot to convert it to absolute humidity. The correct conversion includes multiplying by the molar mass of water vapor and dividing by the total pressure. The speaker also mentioned using different Antoine constants for different temperature ranges.
maistral
This is totally pissing me off, I don't know what the heck am I doing wrong.

Alright, so I was given a temperature of 30°C at 30% relative humidity. I have to get the absolute humidity-

So I used Antoine; log(P)=7.96681-1668.21/(228+30); P = 31.6869mmHg.

0.3 x 31.6869 = 9.41517; 9.41517/(760-9.41517) = 1.25x10^-2.

Apparently the correct answer is 7.86x10^-3; and an air-water psychrometric chart says 0.008. What on Earth am I doing wrong?EDIT: Nevermind, I forgot that I have to multiply y 18/29.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
maistral said:
This is totally pissing me off, I don't know what the heck am I doing wrong.

Alright, so I was given a temperature of 30°C at 30% relative humidity. I have to get the absolute humidity-

So I used Antoine; log(P)=7.96681-1668.21/(228+30); P = 31.6869mmHg.

0.3 x 31.6869 = 9.41517; 9.41517/(760-9.41517) = 1.25x10^-2.

Apparently the correct answer is 7.86x10^-3; and an air-water psychrometric chart says 0.008. What on Earth am I doing wrong?

EDIT: Nevermind, I forgot that I have to multiply y 18/29.

What you calculated was the mole fraction of water vapor. The absolute humidity is defined as the density of water vapor in the air, in units of gm/m3. You need to use the ideal gas law to calculate the absolute humidity: pM/RT

The Antoine constants you used are also valid from 60C to 150C.
For temps of 0C to 60C, the following constants are used:

A=8.10765
B=1750.286
C=235.0

1. How is relative humidity calculated?

The relative humidity (RH) can be calculated by dividing the actual water vapor pressure by the saturation vapor pressure at a particular temperature, and then multiplying by 100%. This is usually expressed as a percentage.

2. What is the formula for calculating relative humidity?

The formula for calculating relative humidity is RH = (actual water vapor pressure / saturation vapor pressure) x 100%.

3. What is the importance of calculating relative humidity?

Relative humidity is an important measurement in atmospheric science and weather forecasting. It is used to determine the amount of water vapor in the air, which can impact air quality, evaporation rates, and the likelihood of precipitation.

4. What factors can affect relative humidity?

The main factors that can affect relative humidity are temperature and the amount of water vapor in the air. As temperature increases, the air can hold more moisture, resulting in a lower relative humidity. Conversely, as temperature decreases, the air can hold less moisture, leading to a higher relative humidity.

5. How can relative humidity calculations be used in everyday life?

Relative humidity calculations can be useful in everyday life for activities such as gardening, cooking, and determining comfort levels. Knowing the relative humidity can help determine when plants need to be watered, when to adjust cooking times and temperatures, and when to use air conditioning or humidifiers to achieve a comfortable indoor environment.