Book Recommendation [Set Theory]

In summary: Yes, it is an interesting book and I would recommend it to someone who is not familiar with these topics. It is written from a point of view that is accessible to non-mathematicians, and it has a clear and concise presentation.
Bachelier
Would you guys recommend the following Book By Paul Cohen as a good (and cheap) intro to set theory and the Continuum Hypothesis.

Set Theory and the Continuum Hypothesis (Dover Books on Mathematics)

Some reviewers attacked Mr. Cohen as being a poor logician. Maybe people were just mad because he tried to prove a beautiful hypothesis that is better (and more elegant) if left unproven.

Physics news on Phys.org

Yes, I would recommend it. I don't know what silly reviewers you got hold of, but Paul Cohen was a magnificent mathematician. He also explains well. Oh, and by the way, he is not trying to prove the Continuum Hypothesis. Or to disprove it, for that matter. But read the book and you'll find out more.

No, I wouldn't recommend the book. Don't get me wrong, it's a very interesting and good book. But I think you would benefit from first reading through some basic set theory or logic books. I highly recommend a book like the one from Hrbacek and Jech. Working through that book will get your comfortable with the basic philosophy of set theory. This will help you with reading Cohen.

micromass said:
No, I wouldn't recommend the book. Don't get me wrong, it's a very interesting and good book. But I think you would benefit from first reading through some basic set theory or logic books. I highly recommend a book like the one from Hrbacek and Jech. Working through that book will get your comfortable with the basic philosophy of set theory. This will help you with reading Cohen.

Got you. Thanks.

BTW the Hypothesis in your statement is impossible to prove no matter what logic we use if we consider the character of the originator of that statement. :tongue:

Bachelier said:
Got you. Thanks.

BTW the Hypothesis in your statement is impossible to prove no matter what logic we use if we consider the character of the originator of that statement. :tongue:

If we consider the originator of the statement, then we can easily conclude that it's false :biggrin:

It's very readable - like "Goedel, Escher Bach" or Spivak's "Calculus on Manifolds". So it can also be enjoyed by people who are not serious mathematicians. Most importantly for outsiders, it has a very clear point of view. In that sense it is a good introduction to logic, set theory and the continuum hypothesis.

1. What is set theory?

Set theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of sets, which are collections of objects. It is a fundamental theory that provides the foundation for many other branches of mathematics.

2. How does set theory relate to book recommendations?

Set theory can be used to organize and classify books into different categories or genres. This can help in creating a system for recommending books to readers based on their interests and preferences.

3. What are the different types of sets in set theory?

There are several types of sets in set theory, including finite sets, infinite sets, empty sets, and universal sets. These sets can also be further categorized into subsets, proper subsets, and power sets.

4. How can set theory be applied to improve book recommendation systems?

Set theory can be used to create a database of books and their attributes, such as genre, author, publication date, etc. This database can then be used to match books with readers based on their preferences and similarities between different sets of books.

5. Are there any limitations to using set theory in book recommendations?

One limitation is that set theory does not take into account personal factors, such as individual taste and emotions, which can also influence book recommendations. Additionally, the accuracy of the recommendations may be affected if the database is not regularly updated or if there is a lack of diversity in the books included.