Can someone prove this basic identity?

by Synopoly
Tags: basic, identity, prove
Synopoly
Feb16-14, 01:11 AM
P: 1
x^(1/n) = the nth root of x

(I'd use mathematical notation but I don't really know how I'm new sorry)
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Researchers help Boston Marathon organizers plan for 2014 race
'Math detective' analyzes odds for suspicious lottery wins
Pseudo-mathematics and financial charlatanism
Mentallic
Feb16-14, 06:19 AM
HW Helper
P: 3,434
Try raising both sides to the power of n.
lurflurf
Feb16-14, 03:36 PM
HW Helper
P: 2,148
$$x^{\frac{1}{n}}=\sqrt[n]{x}$$
is usually true by definition as those are two notations for the same function.

Mark44
Feb16-14, 06:32 PM
Mentor
P: 20,933

Can someone prove this basic identity?

Quote Quote by lurflurf View Post
I agree.
rama
Mar13-14, 06:01 AM
P: 9
same as what mentallic said,the n(and root n) gets cancelled and you are left with the original number
lhs=rhs
jing2178
Mar16-14, 12:19 PM
P: 40
Quote Quote by lurflurf View Post
Not so sure that you can just say they are two notations for the same function.

You can define $$\sqrt(x)$$ as that number when multiplied by itself is $$x$$, ie square root is inverse of squaring.

However when dealing with powers you cannot just say well $$x^{\frac{1}{2}}$$ is a new notation for square root, it is the extension of the notation of powers from positive integers to rationals and its interpretation has yet to be determined.
Using the usual rules for powers then

$$x^{\frac{1}{2}}x^{\frac{1}{2}}=x^{{\frac{1}{2}}+{\frac{1}{2}}} =x^1=x$$

it follows that

$$x^{\frac{1}{2}}=\sqrt(x)$$

In the same way you cannot say $$\frac{8}{12}$$ is just another notation for $$\frac{2}{3}$$ without demonstrating their equality
micromass
Mar16-14, 12:49 PM
Mentor
P: 16,518
Quote Quote by jing2178 View Post
Not so sure that you can just say they are two notations for the same function.

You can define $$\sqrt(x)$$ as that number when multiplied by itself is $$x$$, ie square root is inverse of squaring.

However when dealing with powers you cannot just say well $$x^{\frac{1}{2}}$$ is a new notation for square root, it is the extension of the notation of powers from positive integers to rationals and its interpretation has yet to be determined.
Using the usual rules for powers then

$$x^{\frac{1}{2}}x^{\frac{1}{2}}=x^{{\frac{1}{2}}+{\frac{1}{2}}} =x^1=x$$

it follows that

$$x^{\frac{1}{2}}=\sqrt(x)$$

In the same way you cannot say $$\frac{8}{12}$$ is just another notation for $$\frac{2}{3}$$ without demonstrating their equality
Every notation must have a definition. How do you define ##x^{1/n}## and ##\sqrt[n]{x}##? Usually, these are defined to coincide.
DrewD
Mar16-14, 01:54 PM
P: 417
I personally would think of the rules for exponent to be defined so that ##\{a^x|x\in\mathbb{R}\}## with ##a## being some constant that is greater than zero and not 1, is a group under multiplication. From this, like jing2178 shows, it is easy to prove that ##x^{1/n}## is a number such that, when raised to the ##n^{th}## power, one gets ##x##. From there it is clear that the notation ##\sqrt[n]{x}## and ##x^{1/n}## mean the same thing (ignoring discussions of principle roots).

It is equally valid to set the definition that those are the same notation and then show that the exponent rules work out to keep the group structure. To me the other way makes me feel happier inside
micromass
Mar16-14, 02:41 PM
Mentor
P: 16,518
Quote Quote by DrewD View Post
I personally would think of the rules for exponent to be defined so that ##\{a^x|x\in\mathbb{R}\}## with ##a## being some constant that is greater than zero and not 1, is a group under multiplication. From this, like jing2178 shows, it is easy to prove that ##x^{1/n}## is a number such that, when raised to the ##n^{th}## power, one gets ##x##. From there it is clear that the notation ##\sqrt[n]{x}## and ##x^{1/n}## mean the same thing (ignoring discussions of principle roots).
That's actually a neat definition
qspeechc
Mar16-14, 03:00 PM
P: 792
$$(x^{1/n})^n = x$$ from which the result follows. E.g. $$\sqrt{4}=2$$ because 2x2=4. $$\sqrt[3]{8}=2$$ because 2x2x2=8.

So if $$(x^{1/n})^n$$ means $$x^{1/n}$$ multiplied by itself n times, and the result gives x, then it must mean $$x^{\frac{1}{n}}=\sqrt[n]{x}$$

Register to reply