The section of my physics book on sound makes no sense

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion surrounding the relationship between frequency, wavelength, and speed of sound as described in the book "Conceptual Physics" by Paul G. Hewitt. It is noted that the book poorly explains the concept of sound and its relationship to media storage. The conversation delves into the difference between the speed of waves and the frequency of waves, and how weather can affect the speed of sound due to changes in the medium. It is also mentioned that frequency is a more useful tool for distinguishing sounds, while light can be distinguished by either frequency or wavelength due to its universal speed constant.
Tim.thelion
ok I am in consepual physics 7th edition by paul g hewit and the sound section makes no sense... It is really badly written ie it tells about media storage but not about sound...

ok here is my problem:
chapter 18 it says that speed of a wave = frequency * wavelength

chapter 19 it says that the speed of sound does not depend on the frequency with no further explenation other than to say that the speed of sound changes with diferences in weather.

can someone bring some sense to this?

does this mean that the wavelength of a 'c' note changes based on the condition since the frequency of a 'c' note is always the same?

Physics news on Phys.org
The frequency of any wave cannot change. This is because you cannot have peaks or troughs disappearing. It can only "appear" to change once you start studying the Doppler effect.

The speed of sound does not depend on frequency. The speed of waves in anything does not depend of frequency. It depends on the 'nature' of the medium in which it is travelling. Weather will affect the condition of air. Air is the medium in which sound travels. You can make a wave travel faster in a string by making the string tighter (i.e. change in medium - the string's nature).

I gues my question is if we hear 264 hz as 'c' in all weathers does that mean that on a cold day 'c' will have a diferent wavelength than on a warm day?

Yes. If the velocity changes (the medium changes), the wavelength will change accordingly to accommodate (v = fh) because frequency cannot change.

so we distingush between diferent types of light by the wavelength and we distingush between diferent types of sound by the frequency... interesting

Tim.thelion said:
so we distingush between diferent types of light by the wavelength and we distingush between diferent types of sound by the frequency... interesting
Any type of wave can be distinguished by either it's frequency or it's wavelength. Since wavelength is the result of a particular sound (f) in a particular medium(v), the wavelength is less of a distinguishing feature as compared to frequency; since the speed of sound can change so easily, it is better to use frequency for distinguishing sounds.

Light has the benefit of having a universal constant as its speed. So it is perfectly equivalent to use frequency or wavelength to distinguish a particular "color" of light. It seems to be more useful to refer to light's wavelength; I'm not exactly sure why.

1. Why is the section on sound difficult to understand?

The section on sound can be difficult to understand because it involves complex concepts and mathematical equations that may be unfamiliar to some readers. Additionally, sound is a physical phenomenon that is not easily observable, making it harder to grasp compared to other topics in physics.

2. How can I make sense of the section on sound?

To better understand the section on sound, it is important to review the basic principles of sound, such as wave properties, frequency, and amplitude. It may also be helpful to seek additional resources, such as online tutorials or videos, to supplement your understanding.

3. What are some common misconceptions about sound?

One common misconception about sound is that it travels in a straight line. In reality, sound waves can be affected by various factors, such as temperature and obstacles, causing them to bend and change direction. Another misconception is that sound cannot travel through a vacuum, when in fact it can travel through certain types of vacuum.

4. How does the section on sound relate to real-world applications?

The principles discussed in the section on sound have numerous real-world applications. For example, understanding sound waves and their behavior is crucial in fields such as acoustics, music production, and medical imaging. Additionally, knowledge of sound can help in designing better communication systems and noise control measures.

5. What can I do if I still have trouble understanding the section on sound?

If you are still struggling to understand the section on sound, it may be helpful to seek assistance from a teacher, tutor, or classmate. You can also try breaking down the information into smaller, more manageable chunks and practicing with sample problems. Sometimes, approaching the material from a different perspective or using visual aids can also aid in understanding.