Solve Equation: 3(e)^(x -1) = 3(x)^2

• Thread starter Curious6
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a method for solving the equation 3(e)^(x - 1) = 3(x)^2 and suggests using Newton's method to find the solutions. It also mentions that x = 1 is an obvious solution to the equation.
Curious6
Hi, I know how, to obtain the answer to the following equation intuitively but I would like to understand the calculations involved in obtaining the answer, thanks:

3(e)^(x -1) = 3(x)^2

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Curious6 said:
Hi, I know how, to obtain the answer to the following equation intuitively but I would like to understand the calculations involved in obtaining the answer, thanks:

3(e)^(x -1) = 3(x)^2

Thanks in advance
I don't think you can get exact solutions for this equation. First, try plotting it (by some software), then you can use Newton's method to solve the equation.
First, try to change everything to one side, ie:
3ex - 1 - 3x2 = 0
Let f(x) = 3ex - 1 - 3x2
Now choose an x0 wisely (near the solutions you can see in the graph). Then use:
[tex]x_{n + 1} = x_{n} - \frac{f(x_{n})}{f'(x_{n})}[/tex], then let n increase without bound, your solution will be:
[tex]x = \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} x_{n}[/tex]
Can you go from here? :)
By the way, you should note that x = 1 is an obvious solution to this equation.

Last edited:
Okay, thanks :)

1. What is the variable in this equation?

The variable in this equation is x.

2. How do I solve this equation?

To solve this equation, you can use logarithms or take the natural logarithm of both sides. You will then need to use algebraic manipulation to isolate the variable and find its value.

3. Can this equation be solved algebraically?

Yes, this equation can be solved algebraically using logarithms or by taking the natural logarithm of both sides.

4. Are there any restrictions on the values of x that can be used in this equation?

Yes, there is a restriction on the values of x. Since the natural logarithm is only defined for positive numbers, the value of x must be greater than 0.

5. Can this equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, it is possible for this equation to have multiple solutions. However, it is also possible for there to be no real solutions, depending on the values of x and e.