Phasor Problem: Convert i(rt), i(ct) from i(t)

• Thread starter teng125
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phasor
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a circuit with a power supply, capacitor, and resistor. The current in the resistor is at a different angle compared to the capacitor, and the configuration of the components can affect the output. The voltage is given as 30V, but it is unclear if it is at time t=0 or represented using complex analysis. The concept of phasors is mentioned as a tool for analyzing circuits.
teng125
for i = 0.4A cos (wt + 60) , how do we get i(rt) =0.35A cos(wt + 30) and then i(ct) = 0.2A cos(wt+ 120) ??

Physics news on Phys.org
v = 30V (cos 30 + j sin30) is given

the circuit consists of capacitor and resistor

A good way to present a problem like this is to describe the circuit as best as you can. With your third post, it appears you have power supply V and a capacitor and resistor connected in some fashion. How is your resistor and capacitor connected?

You gave in your first post that the current thru your resistor is at a different angle [itex]\theta [/itex] compared with your capacitor. Do you notice anything special about the difference between the two angles?

no,there is just a z and the current and voltage is given,not even a circuit.
the current for capacitor and resistor is the answer and i don't understand how they got the answer

There are several possible configurations between input and output, based on two components (which component, resistor or capacitor, is first) and configurations series vs parallel vs T.

Is this correct - v = 30V (cos 30 + j sin30) ? Is this at time, t=0?

or should it be 30V (cos (wt+30) + j sin (wt+30)) = 30V e j (wt+30)?

Then look at the voltage v, and see if it is phase with the current in the resistor.

Welcome to the world of complex analysis.

See also - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phasor_(electronics)

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Electronics:Phasors

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a phasor and why is it used?

A phasor is a complex number representation of a sinusoidal function. It is used to simplify the analysis of circuits or systems that involve AC signals, as it allows us to use algebraic operations instead of trigonometric functions.

2. How do you convert i(rt) and i(ct) from i(t) into phasor form?

To convert i(rt) and i(ct) from i(t) into phasor form, we use the Euler's formula: e^(jωt) = cos(ωt) + j sin(ωt). We can then rewrite i(rt) and i(ct) as I(rt) = I * e^(jωt) and I(ct) = I * e^(-jωt), respectively, where I is the peak amplitude of the current and ω is the angular frequency.

3. What is the significance of using phasors in circuit analysis?

Using phasors allows us to represent sinusoidal signals as complex numbers, making it easier to perform algebraic operations and solve circuit problems. It also helps in visualizing and understanding the behavior of AC circuits.

4. Can phasors be used for non-sinusoidal signals?

No, phasors are only applicable for sinusoidal signals. For non-sinusoidal signals, we use Fourier series or Fourier transform to represent them in terms of sinusoidal components.

5. How do you convert phasors back into the time domain?

To convert phasors back into the time domain, we use the inverse Euler's formula: e^(jωt) = cos(ωt) + j sin(ωt). By multiplying the phasor by its complex conjugate, we can obtain the original sinusoidal function in the time domain.