What is the difference between double torque and single torque?

• Thread starter lil_agelu4life
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque
In summary, double torque is a force that is applied in two opposite directions while single torque is a force applied in one direction. Double torque is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance between the two points and is measured in newton-meters or foot-pounds. Single torque is commonly used in everyday objects like doorknobs and wrenches, while examples of double torque include see-saws, bicycle pedals, and steering systems in vehicles.
lil_agelu4life
Ok...our homework was to find out what a double torque is and what single torque is...knowing how incapable i am of answering this question...i've come2 da h/wrk forum! :grumpy:

ok...so far I've got nothing...i did da whole search engine thang
i'm going to go2 mah textbkz n i'l come bak 2 post

thanx

- o:) de LiL aGeLu o:) -

Physics news on Phys.org
I think a double torque may be referring to a couple.

I certainly haven't come across the phrase before.

How about you post the question you've been asked?

1. What is the difference between double and single torque?

Double torque refers to a force that is applied in two opposite directions, while single torque refers to a force that is applied in only one direction. In other words, double torque results from two forces acting in opposite directions, while single torque results from only one force acting in one direction.

2. How is double torque calculated?

Double torque is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance between the two points where the force is applied. This is known as the lever arm. The formula for double torque is T = F x d, where T is torque, F is force, and d is the distance.

3. What is the unit of measurement for torque?

The unit of measurement for torque is the newton-meter (N-m) in the SI (International System of Units) system. In the imperial system, torque is measured in foot-pounds (ft-lb).

4. How is single torque used in everyday life?

Single torque is used in many everyday objects and activities. For example, when you turn a doorknob or open a jar, you are applying a single torque. Single torque is also used in machinery and tools, such as wrenches and screwdrivers, to tighten or loosen screws and bolts.

5. What are some examples of double torque?

Examples of double torque include a see-saw, where weight is applied on both ends causing a rotation, and a bicycle pedal, where the force applied by the foot on the pedal is transmitted to the gears in both directions, resulting in motion. Double torque is also used in steering systems in cars and airplanes to turn the wheels or rudder.