Hyperbolic structures in the universe

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of the existence of material structures on a large scale that manifest hyperbolic geometry in our universe. This is due to the fact that most structures we see in the universe are spherical or circular, but our universe is most likely hyperbolic overall. The concept of anti-de Sitter space is also mentioned, which is a type of hyperbolic space and is seen in the gravitational field around a spherical body. The conversation also delves into the properties of hyperbolic space, such as the divergence of parallel lines and the deflection of light rays, and how it can be observed through the curvature of space around a gravitating mass.
Loren Booda
Most structures we see in the universe are of a spherical or circular nature. However, our universe is most likely hyperbolic (saddle-shaped) overall. Is it possible that there exist material structures on the large scale that manifest hyberbolic geometry?

Space news on Phys.org
The gravitational field around any spherical body, such as the Earth or Sun is spatially hyperbolic - this is called anti-de Sitter (ADS) space.

The visual characteristic of hyperbolic space is the curvature across the saddle-point has the opposite sense to the curvature along (normal to the first direction) the saddle-point.

Consider a point on the surface of the 'curved funnel' analogy to a spherically symmetric gravitational field. Move radially inwards and the curvature goes one way, move around the object in circular orbit and the curvature goes the other.

The intrinsic geometrical characteristics of such space is the cicumference of a circle > 2[itex]\pi[/itex]r, the interior angles of a triangle sum to < 1800 and parallel lines diverge.

This geometry manifests itself in the deflection of light rays close to the Sun.

Consider two stars situated on the celestial sphere at different angles on a radius out from the Sun.

The light from the inner star would be deflected towards the Sun by a greater angle than the outer star. Therefore the angle subtended between the two stars has been increased by the presence of the Sun.

The 'straight lines', or geodesics, of the light rays from these stars have diverged, this is the property of hyperbolic ADS space.

Garth

Last edited:
Garth said:
The gravitational field around any spherical body, such as the Earth or Sun is spatially hyperbolic - this is called anti-de Sitter (ADS) space.

I don't understand this. As topological spaces, ADS, the universal covering of ADS, and Schwarzschild are all distinct.

Or are you referring to a Schwarzschild-ADS solution?

George Jones said:
I don't understand this. As topological spaces, ADS, the universal covering of ADS, and Schwarzschild are all distinct.

Or are you referring to a Schwarzschild-ADS solution?
I should have been more precise.

The Schwarzschild surface does not globally have ADS topology, I was just saying that locally, in any small enough region on a space-like surface (foliation) of the space-time around a gravitating mass, the curvature is hyperbolic.

If you take my light deflection example, two parallel light rays passing either side of the Sun would converge - the signature of spherical space.

However, when two parallel light rays pass close to, and both on the same side of, the Sun, so that one is closer than the other, then they will they diverge. Here the light rays are sampling the curvature of a local patch close to the Sun and they exhibit the signature of hyperbolic space.

Garth

Garth said:
I should have been more precise.

The Schwarzschild surface does not globally have ADS topology, I was just saying that locally, in any small enough region on a space-like surface (foliation) of the space-time around a gravitating mass, the curvature is hyperbolic.

If you take my light deflection example, two parallel light rays passing either side of the Sun would converge - the signature of spherical space.

However, when two parallel light rays pass close to, and both on the same side of, the Sun, so that one is closer than the other, then they will they diverge. Here the light rays are sampling the curvature of a local patch close to the Sun and they exhibit the signature of hyperbolic space.

Garth

Damn you are good at writing clearly, Garth. Very nice post.

What is a hyperbolic structure in the universe?

A hyperbolic structure in the universe refers to a geometric shape or configuration that has a curvature opposite to that of a sphere. It is characterized by negative curvature, which means that the angles of a triangle within this structure will add up to less than 180 degrees.

What are some examples of hyperbolic structures in the universe?

Hyperbolic structures can be found in various cosmic objects such as galactic clusters, filaments, and voids. They can also be seen in the large-scale structure of the universe, where the distribution of matter follows a web-like pattern with hyperbolic shapes.

How do hyperbolic structures form in the universe?

Hyperbolic structures are thought to form through the process of cosmic inflation, which is a rapid expansion of the universe in its early stages. As the universe expanded, small fluctuations in density and energy led to the formation of hyperbolic structures.

What is the significance of hyperbolic structures in the universe?

Studying hyperbolic structures can provide insight into the overall structure and evolution of the universe. They also play a role in the distribution of matter and the formation of galaxies and other cosmic structures.

How do scientists study hyperbolic structures in the universe?

Scientists use various techniques and tools such as telescopes, computer simulations, and mathematical models to observe and understand hyperbolic structures in the universe. They also analyze data from surveys and observations to study the properties of these structures.