Can Holding a Spark Plug and Electric Current Shock Someone?

• Thread starter ravenprp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Shock
In summary, a spark plug does not have enough voltage to shock someone. You would need to convert the 3V DC to 3V AC and connect it to a small transformer to generate enough voltage to shock someone.
ravenprp
Hi, is it possible to shock someone by forcing them to hold a spark plug in one hand and a piece of metal connected to an electric current in the other to cause like, let's say 3V of electricity to go through their body? Or is there something wrong with the setup?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Shock someone?

Hi, is it possible to shock someone by forcing them to hold a spark plug in one hand and a piece of metal connected to an electric current in the other to cause like, let's say 3V of electricity to go through their body? Or is there something wrong with the setup?

Before I answer anything, what the hell are you trying to do?

nothing at all, my friend and i were arguing over the fact if it will work.

i'm not going to actually shock someone :p

3V is too low unless his/her hand has a cut.

Is this for your physics class or are you planning to submit something to jackass? :P

3V is pretty low, but sandpaper their hand first and sprinkle some salt water on the wound. Oh, and be careful. Why do you ask anyway?

The spark plug has an air gap. You might want to do a little research about the voltage potential required to jump that gap. Hint: IC engines have some pretty hefty step-up coils to pull this off. Please re-post when you need confirmation of your quantification.

Last edited:
turbo-1 said:
The spark plug has an air gap.
Good point. I was assuming he was just going to connect to and hold the whole plug, but if he connects to the top input connector and holds other metal tip, not much is going to happen. Well, except for the salt water in the wound. :devil:

Considering that sparkplugs run on somewhere upward of 25,000 volts, I don't think that your enemies have anything to worry about.

Is the spark plug connected to a coil? How is the "piece of metal" connected to an "electric current"? Where did the 3V come from. You question is very poorly stated could you please try to restate it in a different form. Perhaps we can start to unravel what it is you are asking.

Don't read this post.
I had previously written it suggesting something very stupid and dangerous, which was intended as a joke, and then realized that some people reading this may actually take it seriously, so I had to delete the original post by overwriting it with something else.
Thank you, good night, and please play safely with electricity :P

Last edited:
jpr0 said:
Thank you, good night, and please play safely with electricity :P
Does this mean that the Taser party is cancelled? :frown:

Danger said:
Does this mean that the Taser party is cancelled? :frown:

Yes. Not to worry though, it's being replaced by the batons and clubs party.

I didn't see this thread before. No one mentioned the fact that spark plug or not, a person has to be completing a circuit for electricity to flow. A spark plug has two terminals, not one. So if the spark plug's other terminal isn't grounded, nothing will happen even if the voltage is high enough to jump the gap.

If the voltage is high enough to jump the gap it is most likely high enough to find a path back to the source. Even if the source is well insulated the person getting shocked will most likely feel it due to capacitance between them and the source or leakage.

3V will not make a shock for a human.above ~80V makes a good shock so all you have to do is to convert 3V DC to 3V AC then connect it to a small transformer & amplify 3V AC to >80V AC.then take the output leads to the person whom you want to shock:biggrin:

This is starting to remind me of my first anti-salesman/holy-roller device, which consisted of a bronze-wool welcome mat, a brass doorknob, and a 280 amp arc welder. :devil:

1. Can you shock someone with electricity?

Yes, it is possible to shock someone with electricity. The electric shock occurs when a person comes into contact with an electrical source, such as a live wire or an appliance with faulty wiring. The effects of the shock can range from mild discomfort to serious injury or death.

2. How does an electric shock affect the human body?

An electric shock can cause various effects on the human body, including muscle contractions, burns, and even cardiac arrest. The severity of the effects depends on the voltage and duration of the shock, as well as the path the electricity takes through the body.

3. Is it safe to shock someone for medical purposes?

Yes, electric shocks can be used for medical purposes, such as in defibrillation to restart a person's heart. However, this should only be done by trained medical professionals using specialized equipment. Attempting to shock someone without proper training and equipment can be dangerous and potentially fatal.

4. Can you shock someone back to life?

No, shocking someone with electricity will not bring them back to life. While electric shocks can be used to restart a person's heart in certain medical situations, it cannot revive someone who has already died.

5. What precautions should be taken when dealing with electricity and potential shocks?

When dealing with electricity, it is important to take proper precautions to avoid electric shocks. This includes avoiding contact with live wires, using insulated tools, and turning off the power before working on any electrical equipment. It is also important to have a basic understanding of electricity and to follow safety guidelines and procedures when handling electrical equipment.