What is the percent of energy lost in an inelastic collision?

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the percent of energy lost in an inelastic collision between two blocks. The formula to calculate this is given, but there is confusion about whether the final kinetic energy should include the mass of block 2 or not. It is clarified that the final kinetic energy should be calculated with the combined mass of both blocks.
*best&sweetest*
percent of energy lost?

I'm confused... I have a case where block 1 moves with certain velocity, hits block 2 (that is at rest) and sticks to it - inelastic collision. Now, the problem is that I have to find the percent of energy (kinetic) that the first block has lost. I know that the formula is [(K initial - K final)/K(initial)]*100, but wha I'm wandering about is whether K(final) should include the mass of block 2 or not?
They are actually one mass after collision, but the question asks for the lost of energy of block 1. Can you somehow explain this to me? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, calculate the final kinetic energy with the combined mass.

Thanks, I got it right!

1. What is the definition of "percent of energy lost?"

The percent of energy lost refers to the amount of energy that is dissipated or wasted during a process or system. It is usually expressed as a percentage of the initial energy input.

2. How is the percent of energy lost calculated?

The percent of energy lost can be calculated by dividing the amount of energy lost by the initial energy input and multiplying by 100. This will give the percentage of energy that was not efficiently utilized.

3. What factors contribute to the percent of energy lost in a system?

There are several factors that can contribute to the percent of energy lost in a system, such as friction, heat loss, and inefficiencies in the conversion of energy from one form to another. Other factors may include external factors like air resistance or internal factors like resistance within the system itself.

4. How can the percent of energy lost be reduced?

The percent of energy lost can be reduced by improving the efficiency of the system or process. This can be achieved by minimizing friction, insulating against heat loss, and using more efficient components or technologies. Regular maintenance and proper calibration can also help to reduce energy losses.

5. Why is it important to consider the percent of energy lost in scientific research and development?

The percent of energy lost is an important factor to consider in scientific research and development because it can affect the overall efficiency and effectiveness of a system or process. By understanding and minimizing energy losses, scientists can improve the performance and sustainability of their inventions and innovations.