Any recommended texts in applied mathematics?

In summary, some recommended self-learning textbooks in applied mathematics are Strogatz's "Nonlinear dynamics and chaos," Kuznetsov's "Elements of Applied Bifurcation Theory," Bamberg & Sternberg's "A course in mathematics for students of physics I & II," Lebedev & Vorovich's "Functional analysis in mechanics," Arnol'd's "Mathematical methods of classical mechanics," Horn & Johnson's "Matrix Analysis," Wan's "Introduction to the Calculus of Variations and its applications," and Strang's "Introduction to Applied Mathematics." Other subjects that may be worth considering are also mentioned, such as physics and calculus of variations.
hanson
Hi all!
I am a mechanical engineering major who want to pusue graduate study in applied mathematics.
I am wondering if you guys could recommend me some outstanding self-learning textbooks in applied mathematics.
I would not get much asstance from anyone, so the more the book is self-explaining the better it would be to me.
Particular, I would like books on applied bifuracation theory or the mathematics in waves.

Of course, if you have exceptionally good texts of other subjects to recommend, please kindly share with me. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You could try:

Strogatz, S. H. 1994. Nonlinear dynamics and chaos: With applications to physics, biology, chemistry, and engineering. Reading, MA:

or for more theoretical analyses:

Kuznetsov, Yu.A.
Elements of Applied Bifurcation Theory.
Springer-Verlag, New York, 1995,1998, 2004

Bamberg & Stermberg, A course in mathematics for students of physics I & II
Lebedev & Vorovich, Functional analysis in mechaics;
Arnol'd, mathematical methods of classical mechanics;
Horn & Johnson, Matrix Analysis;
Wan, Introduction of the Calculus of Variations and its applications.

Strang's Introduction to Applied Mathematics is really interesting.

1. What are some recommended texts in applied mathematics?

There are many great texts in applied mathematics, but some popular recommendations include "Applied Mathematics for Scientists and Engineers" by Larry A. Glasgow, "Applied Mathematics: Body and Soul" by Kenneth Eriksson and Donald Estep, and "Applied Mathematics: Data, Models, and Decisions" by David J. Tritton.

2. Are there any introductory texts for applied mathematics?

Yes, there are several great introductory texts for applied mathematics, such as "An Introduction to Applied Mathematics" by Gilbert Strang, "Applied Mathematics: A Very Short Introduction" by Alain Goriely, and "Foundations of Applied Mathematics" by Michael D. Greenberg.

3. Can you recommend any texts specifically for engineering applications?

Absolutely, some popular texts specifically for engineering applications include "Applied Mathematics for Engineers and Physicists" by Louis A. Pipes and Lawrence R. Harvill, "Applied Mathematics for Engineers and Scientists" by Larry A. Glasgow, and "Applied Mathematics for Science and Engineering" by Larry Allen.

4. Are there any texts that focus on practical applications of applied mathematics?

Yes, there are several texts that focus on the practical application of applied mathematics, such as "Practical Applied Mathematics: Modelling, Analysis, Approximation" by Sam Howison, "Applied Mathematics: Made Simple" by Jerrold E. Marsden and Michael J. Hoffman, and "Applied Mathematics in Aerospace Science and Engineering" by M. V. K. Chari.

5. Can you recommend any advanced texts in applied mathematics?

Sure, some advanced texts in applied mathematics include "Advanced Mathematical Methods for Scientists and Engineers" by Carl M. Bender and Steven A. Orszag, "Advanced Topics in Applied Mathematics" by Zakaria Belhachmi, and "Advanced Engineering Mathematics" by Peter V. O'Neil.