Will Changing Loop Size Affect Induced Current? | Magnetic Field Question

• Thread starter jtrexler
  • Start date
In summary, changing the size of the loop and rotating the loop about an axis parallel to the field and passing through the center will not result in an induced current in the loop, as they do not cause any change in the magnetic flux. Increasing or decreasing the strength of the magnetic field and rotating the loop about an axis perpendicular to the field and passing through the center will cause induction and result in a current in the loop.
jtrexler
A conducting loop of wire is placed in a magnetic field that is normal to the plane of the loop. Which one of the following actions will not result in an induced current in the loop?

1)Decrease the area of the loop.

2)Increase the strength of the magnetic field.

3)Decrease the strength of the magnetic field.

4)Rotate the loop about an axis that is parallel to the field and passes through the center of the loop.

5)Rotate the loop about an axis that is perpendicular to the field and passes through the center of the loop.
-------------------------------------------

Now, I know the basics of magnetic fields- as long as there is relative motion between a magnet and a loop there will be current in the loop. But I am having issues with this question. Is changing the size of a loop "relative motion"?
Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by jtrexler
A conducting loop of wire is placed in a magnetic field that is normal to the plane of the loop. Which one of the following actions will not result in an induced current in the loop?

1)Decrease the area of the loop.

2)Increase the strength of the magnetic field.

3)Decrease the strength of the magnetic field.

4)Rotate the loop about an axis that is parallel to the field and passes through the center of the loop.

5)Rotate the loop about an axis that is perpendicular to the field and passes through the center of the loop.
-------------------------------------------

Now, I know the basics of magnetic fields- as long as there is relative motion between a magnet and a loop there will be current in the loop. But I am having issues with this question. Is changing the size of a loop "relative motion"?
Thanks for your help.

Increasing or decreasing the strength of the magnetic field will cause the magnetic field to interact with the loop, causing induction, so, 2 & 3 are out.
5 obviously causes induction so 5 is out.
This leaves 1 & 4.
Not sure where to go from there.

Originally posted by jtrexler

Yes. Changing the size of the loop changes the magnetic flux and induces a current.

Careful with the idea that relative motion always induces a current in the loop. If the relative motion does not impact the flux (as in #4) there will be no induced current in the loop.

Okay, thanks for the help. I thought that changing the area of the loop would induce a small amount of current, but wasn't sure if that was what the question was going for.

What is a poorly worded question?

A poorly worded question is a question that is unclear, confusing, or does not effectively convey the information the asker is trying to obtain.

Why is it important to avoid poorly worded questions?

Avoiding poorly worded questions is important because they can lead to misunderstandings, inaccurate data, and wasted time and resources. Clear and precise questions are necessary for accurate research and analysis.

What are some common characteristics of poorly worded questions?

Some common characteristics of poorly worded questions include being too vague, using technical jargon or complex language, asking multiple questions in one, and using biased or leading language.

How can I improve my question to avoid it being poorly worded?

To improve your question and avoid it being poorly worded, try to be as specific and concise as possible. Use simple and clear language, avoid jargon, and ask one question at a time. Also, make sure your question is unbiased and does not suggest a desired answer.

What are some tips for writing effective and clear questions?

Some tips for writing effective and clear questions include starting with a specific topic, using simple and direct language, avoiding double negatives, and asking open-ended questions. It is also helpful to have someone else review your question for clarity and understanding.