Why is Polystyrene a good insulator

• Thread starter Musse
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Insulator
In summary, Musse says that polystyrene is an insulator because it has small gas bubbles that obstruct convection. She also suggests testing polystyrene as an insulator to see if it is really as good as people say.
Musse
Im doing this coursework about what material can keep heat the longest. My test results show that Polystyrene was the best material, but why ? Why is polystyre a good insulator?

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Musse
Im doing this coursework about what material can keep heat the longest. My test results show that Polystyrene was the best material, but why ? Why is polystyre a good insulator?

hello Musse and welcome!
there might be several explanations
and I can't be sure what I am going to tell you is the best, but I can get the ball rolling in any case with a partial answer.

Heat gets transferred by radiation, conduction, and convection.

Dry air is a poor conductor of heat----it moves heat by convection.
In a large air gap, like between the double walls of a house,
convection currents will start up that circulate the air from contact with the warm inner wall to contact with the cold outer wall, so the circulating air physically carries the heat

Most solids are better conductors of heat than still dry air. The thing with air (or some other gas) is you have to immobilize it, trap it in little bubbles or pockets, so it doesn't get started circulating in convection currents.

So people use FOAMS because they break up the air into trapped
pockets which obstructs convection. Or they stuff the air-gap between the walls with fluffy fiber, which also interferes with convection.

And they try to keep out moisture because moist air is not such a good insulator (condensation and evaporation don't help matters)

So I suspect you could go a long way towards explaining polystyrene as an insulator if you cut a sample open and looked at it under magnification. Is it a foam? If so how big are the bubbles?
Is it low density (high proportion of dry trapped gas as compared to solid)?

Another thing you might want to do is get some solid, unfoamy,
polystyrene plastic and test it as an insulator compared with other materials.

Even among solids there are differences in heat-conductivity---metal conducts better than glass and so on. It might be that even solid unfoamy polystyrene is comparatively good insulation.

though I suspect that the main insulating effect comes from the gas bubbles in the foam.

btw do you know what the gas in plastic foam is? is it nitrogen or air or carbondioxide or what? maybe someone here knows, I dont.

btw do you know what the gas in plastic foam is? is it nitrogen or air or carbondioxide or what? maybe someone here knows, I dont.
http://www.eere.energy.gov/consumerinfo/refbriefs/ed3.html

A variety of gases are used. CO2, CFC, HCFC, air...

1. Why is Polystyrene a good insulator?

Polystyrene is a good insulator because it is made up of tiny air pockets that slow down the transfer of heat and electricity. This makes it difficult for heat or electricity to pass through, keeping the desired temperature or preventing the flow of electricity.

2. How does Polystyrene prevent heat transfer?

Polystyrene prevents heat transfer through conduction, convection, and radiation. The tiny air pockets in polystyrene act as barriers that reduce the movement of heat energy between objects, preventing heat transfer.

3. Is Polystyrene a good insulator for both hot and cold temperatures?

Yes, polystyrene is a good insulator for both hot and cold temperatures. It has a low thermal conductivity, meaning it does not conduct heat well. This makes it effective in both preventing heat from escaping and preventing heat from entering.

4. What makes Polystyrene a better insulator than other materials?

Polystyrene is a better insulator than other materials because it has a high R-value, which measures the material's resistance to heat flow. Polystyrene has a higher R-value compared to other commonly used insulating materials, making it more effective in preventing heat transfer.

5. Is Polystyrene environmentally friendly as an insulating material?

Polystyrene is not considered environmentally friendly as an insulating material. It is a non-biodegradable plastic and can release toxic chemicals when burned. However, there are now more eco-friendly options available, such as polystyrene made from recycled materials or biodegradable alternatives like hemp insulation.