Ring Magnets vs. Disk Magnets: Which Creates Stronger Eddy Currents?

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between ring and disk magnets in terms of their strength, field density, and ability to create eddy currents when dropped through a copper tube. It is also mentioned that the dynamics of field lines can affect the effectiveness of induction. The conversation also mentions a proof on a website that explains how a current carrying ring and a rotating disk magnet behave differently. The conversation also clarifies that the discussion is specifically about ring magnets vs. disk magnets when dropped through a pipe.
robhlee
Is there a strength and/or field density difference between ring and disk magnets? I want to know which would create stronger eddy currents when dropped through a copper tube (which one would fall slower).

Physics news on Phys.org
what i am asking about is are there field line dynamics that can affect the effective induction.

robhlee said:
what i am asking about is are there field line dynamics that can affect the effective induction.
A current carrying ring does not behave the same as a disk magnet in all curcumstances. For example, if the current carrying ring is rotating then the ring will remain uncharged. However when a disk magnetc is rotating then the disk will have a non-zero charge distribution, although the net charge will remain the same. See proof I wrote and paced on my website at - http://www.geocities.com/physics_world/em/rotating_magnet.htm

Good luck

Pete

i am not sure if you got this, but what i meant was ring magnets vs. disk magnets. (dropped through pipe)

What is the difference between a ring magnet and a disk magnet?

A ring magnet is a circular magnet with a hole in the center, while a disk magnet is a circular magnet without a hole. The shape and size of the magnet affect its magnetic field and strength.

Which type of magnet is stronger, a ring magnet or a disk magnet?

The strength of a magnet depends on various factors such as its size, shape, and material. Both ring and disk magnets can have different levels of strength depending on these factors, so one type cannot be universally considered stronger than the other.

What are the common uses for ring magnets and disk magnets?

Ring magnets are often used in motors, generators, and loudspeakers due to their strong magnetic field. Disk magnets are commonly used in magnetic recording devices, sensors, and magnetic clasps.

Can a ring magnet be used as a disk magnet and vice versa?

While both ring and disk magnets have similar properties, they are designed for different purposes and cannot be used interchangeably. The presence or absence of a hole in the center affects their magnetic field and uses.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of using a ring magnet versus a disk magnet?

The choice between using a ring magnet or a disk magnet depends on the specific application. Ring magnets have a stronger magnetic field, but disk magnets have a more uniform field. Ring magnets also have a larger surface area for contact, but disk magnets are more compact. Ultimately, the advantages and disadvantages will vary based on the intended use.