Voltage/ Voltmeter: Why 1.50 V?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with a flashlight battery and a voltmeter. The voltmeter initially reads 1.50 V, but when it is removed and the battery is connected to a light bulb, the potential drop across the bulb is only 1.42 V due to the internal resistance of the battery. The equation v = v0 - I*R0 is used to explain the difference in readings, with R0 representing the internal resistance of the battery and I representing the current. It is mentioned that the voltmeter had an infinite resistance, while the light bulb had a finite resistance, which explains the difference in the readings. The conversation ends with the question of why the internal resistance did not record in the first
husky88

Homework Statement

The problem is actually longer, but I will make it shorter, just to ask my question.

A flashlight battery has a voltmeter connected across its terminals. The voltmeter reads 1.50 V. (Assume the voltmeter is perfect, with an infinite resistance, drawing no current.) The voltmeter is removed and the battery is connected to a small light bulb.
It turns out the potential drop across the bulb is only 1.42 V, because of the internal resistance of the battery.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My question is why didn't the internal resistance of the battery record on the first reading of the voltage also? This isn't a question in the problem, I just don't understand why. There was a closed circuit in both cases.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Battery resistance is beyond my reckoning, because it has to do with the chemical makeup of the battery as it runs out of charge.

The equation modifies the voltage by

v = v0 - I*R0

where R0 is the internal resistance of the battery and I can be expressed as V/R where R is the load, so now we have:

v = v0 - (V/R)*R0

In the first case, the R is inifnite (it says so in your translation of the problem, the voltmeter is the load, with resistance R), so the quantity V/R makes the second term 0

In the second case, R is the load created by the light, so the V/R term doesn't go to 0, since R is not infinite.

Oh, ok. That makes sense. :smile:
Thank you.

My question is why didn't the internal resistance of the battery record on the first reading of the voltage also? This isn't a question in the problem, I just don't understand why. There was a closed circuit in both cases.
Because the voltmeter drew no current, but the lightbulb did. In other words the voltmeter put no load on the battery, so no current flowed.

v = v0 - I*R0

if I=0 then R0 is irrelevant and v=v0.

And now I can understand it in practical terms too.
Thank you, again.

1. Why is voltage measured in volts?

Voltage is measured in volts because it is the unit of measurement for electric potential difference. It represents the amount of electrical force present between two points in an electrical circuit.

2. What is the significance of 1.50 V in voltage measurement?

1.50 V is a commonly used standard reference value for voltage measurements. It is equivalent to the voltage produced by a standard AA battery, making it a convenient point of comparison for other voltage measurements.

3. How is voltage measured using a voltmeter?

A voltmeter is connected in parallel to the circuit or component being measured. It measures the potential difference between the two points and displays the value in volts on its screen.

4. What factors can affect voltage measurements?

Several factors can affect voltage measurements, including the accuracy and precision of the voltmeter, the resistance and impedance of the circuit, and the presence of any external electromagnetic interference.

5. Can a voltmeter measure both AC and DC voltage?

Yes, most voltmeters are capable of measuring both alternating current (AC) and direct current (DC) voltage. However, it is important to check the voltmeter's range and settings to ensure it is appropriate for the type of voltage being measured.