Vector ramp question - time taken for object to slide down ramp

In summary, the problem involves a 9.0 kg box sliding down a smooth ramp at a 24 degree angle with a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.25. Using the equations F=ma and d= Vot + .5at^2, the box takes 1.5 seconds to slide 2.0 m down the ramp from a standing start.
avsj

Homework Statement

A 9.0 kg box is sliding down a smooth flat ramp which makes an angle of 24 degrees with the horizontal. If the coefficient of kinetic friction (μ) between the box and the ramp is 0.25, how long will it take the box to slide 2.0 m down the ramp froma standing start?

Homework Equations

Fg = mg
Ff = μFn
SOH/CAH/TOA

The Attempt at a Solution

Fg= 9.0 x 9.8 =88.2 N
From a vector diagram, I solved Fn using cos(24)x88.2= 80.6 N
Therefore, Ff = 0.24 (80.6) = 20.2 N
Fd (force down the ramp parallel to ramp) = sin(24) x 88.2 = 35.9

Fnet = 35.9 - 20.2 = 15.7 N

Now to solve d=vt.

d= 2.0m

but do i use 15.7 as my velocity or is it acceleration and if so, how should I approach the calculus? Or is the velocity also 15.7 m/s because it starts at rest. If so, i divide 2 by 15.7 and get a 0.13 but the answer in my textbook is 1.5

Thanks for your help :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
avsj said:

Homework Statement

A 9.0 kg box is sliding down a smooth flat ramp which makes an angle of 24 degrees with the horizontal. If the coefficient of kinetic friction (μ) between the box and the ramp is 0.25, how long will it take the box to slide 2.0 m down the ramp froma standing start?

Homework Equations

Fg = mg
Ff = μFn
SOH/CAH/TOA

The Attempt at a Solution

Fg= 9.0 x 9.8 =88.2 N
From a vector diagram, I solved Fn using cos(24)x88.2= 80.6 N
Therefore, Ff = 0.24 (80.6) = 20.2 N
Fd (force down the ramp parallel to ramp) = sin(24) x 88.2 = 35.9

Fnet = 35.9 - 20.2 = 15.7 N

Now to solve d=vt.

d= 2.0m

Everything up until here is correct. What you have is the net force being experienced by the block. Now, you know F=ma, so to find the acceleration you need to divide the force by the weight of the object.

Then you can solve for time using the acceleration and distance with equations of kinematics.

Thanks a lot :D, ... but I haven't learned the equations of kinematics yet. Could you please tell me which ones are relevant?

Kinematics is our next unit, this is a 'brain buster' at the end of my current unit.

Thanks so much

F= ma

15.7/9 = 1.7 acceleration

I tried d= (Vo + Vf)/2 x t

so 2 = 1.7/2 x t

t = 2.4

The correct answer is 1.5

Oooh,

Should I be using d= Vot + .5at^2 ?

This gives me the correct answer. Great thanks chaoseverlasting :D

1. What is a vector ramp?

A vector ramp is a tilted surface that allows an object to slide down due to the force of gravity. It is commonly used in physics experiments to study the effects of gravity and motion.

2. How is the time taken for an object to slide down a vector ramp calculated?

The time taken for an object to slide down a vector ramp can be calculated using the equation t = sqrt(2h/g), where t is the time, h is the height of the ramp, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

3. Does the mass of the object affect the time taken to slide down a vector ramp?

Yes, the mass of the object does affect the time taken to slide down a vector ramp. Heavier objects have a greater force of gravity acting on them, causing them to slide down the ramp faster than lighter objects.

4. What other factors can affect the time taken for an object to slide down a vector ramp?

Other factors that can affect the time taken for an object to slide down a vector ramp include the angle of the ramp, the coefficient of friction between the object and the ramp, and any external forces acting on the object.

5. Can the time taken for an object to slide down a vector ramp be calculated without using equations?

Yes, the time taken for an object to slide down a vector ramp can also be calculated experimentally by measuring the distance the object travels and the time it takes to reach the bottom of the ramp, and then using the equation d = 1/2gt^2 to solve for t.