How to Calculate the Sum of Factorial Functions Using the Floor Function?

• Thread starter camilus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sum
In summary, the sum \sum\limits_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{d(n)!} can be simplified to {9 \over 10}(e^{10} - 1) by using the closed form expression for the series e^x, and substituting it into the sum. This results in a more manageable and elegant solution, instead of trying to find patterns in d(n).
camilus
Let [tex]d(n)[/tex] denote the number of digits of n in its decimal representation. Evaluate the sum

[tex]\sum\limits_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{d(n)!}[/tex]​

Physics news on Phys.org
You got to show some work first, before you we can help you. Can you find any patterns in d(n) that might make this sum more manageable?

I like that problem, it's much less dumb than it appears. I'll admit that my first instinct about the closed form for the answer was off by 0.9, so check your work in case you do the same thing I do.

[tex]\sum\limits_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{d(n)!}={9 \over 10}(e^{10}-1)[/tex]

I got the proof if anyone is interested...

Yep, that's it. I initially forgot to subtract the 1, thus my error of 0.9 mentioned above.

camilus said:
I got the proof if anyone is interested...
yeap, i would be glad to see it!

Let [tex]d(n)[/tex] denote the number of digits of [tex]n[/tex] in its decimal representation. Evaluate the sum

[tex]\sum\limits_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{d(n)!}[/tex]​

SOLUTION:

The actual summation of [tex]\frac{1}{d(n)!}[/tex] looks like

[tex]\sum\limits_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{d(n)!} = \frac{1}{1!} + \cdots \frac{1}{2!} + \cdots \frac{1}{3!} + \cdots[/tex]​

This can be analytically simplified to

[tex]\sum\limits_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{d(n)!} = 9(\frac{1}{1!}) + 90(\frac{1}{2!}) + 900(\frac{1}{3!}) + 9000(\frac{1}{4!}) + \cdots[/tex]​

after collecting terms and simplyfing to a summation, the result is

[tex]\sum\limits_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{d(n)!} = 9(\frac{1}{1!}) + 90(\frac{1}{2!}) + 900(\frac{1}{3!}) + 9000(\frac{1}{4!}) + \cdots = 9\sum\limits_{n=0}^\infty \frac{10^n}{(n+1)!} [/tex]​

Adding all the terms would give us [tex]\sum\limits_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{d(n)!} = 9\sum\limits_{n=0}^\infty \frac{10^n}{(n+1)!} = 19822.91922[/tex]

My intuituion tells me that there should be a more simple representation for [tex]\sum\limits_{n=0}^\infty \frac{10^n}{(n+1)!}[/tex].

Now by definition
[tex]e^x = \sum_{n = 0}^{\infty} {x^n \over n!} = 1 + x + {x^2 \over 2!} + {x^3 \over 3!} + {x^4 \over 4!} + \cdots[/tex]​

dividing by x gives us

[tex]{e^x\over x} = {1 \over x}\sum_{n = 0}^{\infty} {x^n \over n!} = {1 \over x}[1 + x + {x^2 \over 2!} + {x^3 \over 3!} + {x^4 \over 4!} + \cdots] = 1 + {1 \over x} + {x \over 2!} + {x^2 \over 3!} + {x^3 \over 4!} + \cdots[/tex]​

Now the series [tex](1 + {1 \over x} + {x \over 2!} + {x^2 \over 3!} + {x^3 \over 4!} + \cdots)[/tex] can be rewritten as [tex]\sum_{n = 0}^{\infty} {x^n \over (n+1)!} + {1 \over x}[/tex].

So [tex]{e^x\over x} = \sum_{n = 0}^{\infty} {x^n \over (n+1)!} + {1 \over x}[/tex], and solving for [tex] \sum_{n = 0}^{\infty} {x^n \over (n+1)!} [/tex] gives us

[tex] \sum_{n = 0}^{\infty} {x^n \over (n+1)!} = {e^x \over x} - {1 \over x} = {e^x - 1 \over x}[/tex]​

Substituting gives us

[tex]\sum\limits_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{d(n)!} = 9\sum\limits_{n=0}^\infty \frac{10^n}{(n+1)!} = 9[{e^{10} -1 \over 10}] = {9 \over 10}(e^{10} - 1)[/tex] which indeed equals [tex]19822.91922[/tex].

So in conclusion:

[tex]\huge \sum\limits_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{d(n)!} = {9 \over 10}(e^{10} - 1)[/tex]​

I was doing stupid things :(
I wrote d(n) as the floor function of [itex]log_{10} n[/itex] and tried some magic with that >.< I thought i had a good idea :(

the floor function is used to define this function.

[tex]d(n) = floor({ln (n) \over ln (10)}) + 1[/tex]

What does "Evaluate the sum" mean?

"Evaluate the sum" refers to the process of finding the total value of a mathematical expression by adding all of its individual components together.

Why is it important to evaluate the sum?

Evaluating the sum is important because it allows us to find the total value of a mathematical expression and can help us solve real-world problems.

Can any mathematical expression be evaluated using sum?

No, the expression must contain addition or subtraction operations in order to be evaluated using sum. Multiplication and division operations require different methods of evaluation.

What is the correct order of operations when evaluating a sum?

The correct order of operations, also known as PEMDAS, is parentheses, exponents, multiplication and division (from left to right), and addition and subtraction (from left to right).

Are there any common mistakes to avoid when evaluating a sum?

Yes, a common mistake is to incorrectly apply the order of operations, resulting in an incorrect final value. It is important to follow the correct order of operations and carefully evaluate each component of the expression.