Calculate Properties of Composites - Help Needed

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of composites and the desire to find online calculators to determine the properties of different combinations of reinforcements and matrices. The conversation also mentions the availability of sources for common composites and the request for assistance in calculating engineering properties such as strength and stiffness. A potential resource is suggested for further exploration.
perfectz
Composite doubt...

Composites are so cool and they make me go wild...
I have the composite paper only in my 6th semester and I am only in 3rd semester...
I was wondering if there are any online calculators to check out the properties of composites. I want to work out with various combinations of reinforcements and matrices and check out the results...
Somebody please help me.
How can I calculate the various engineering properties like strength(tensile, compressive), stiffness, modulus of elasticity and rigidity of composites?
I know there are sources in the internet for common composites like FRP, Kevlar, Carbon/graphite etc etc... It is just that I want to try it out for various combinations...
Please help me out...

Engineering news on Phys.org

Hi there,

I can understand your excitement about composites, they are indeed fascinating materials. As for your question about calculating the properties of composites, there are a few options you can explore.

1. Online Calculators: There are a few online calculators available that can help you calculate the properties of composites. Some popular ones are MatWeb, CompositesWorld, and CompositesWorld Calculator. These calculators allow you to input the type and percentage of reinforcement and matrix materials, and give you the properties of the composite material.

2. Software: There are also various software programs available that can help you calculate the properties of composites. Some popular ones are ANSYS Composite PrepPost, HyperSizer, and ESAComp. These software programs are more comprehensive and can provide you with more detailed and accurate results.

3. Hand Calculations: If you prefer to do it manually, there are also hand calculation methods available for determining the properties of composites. You can refer to textbooks or online resources for these methods.

4. Consult Experts: If you are working on a specific project or have a complex composite material, it is best to consult with experts in the field. They can help you with the calculations and provide you with more accurate results.

I hope this helps you in your quest to calculate the properties of composites. Good luck!

1. What are composites?

Composites are materials made up of two or more different components that are combined to create a new material with improved or unique properties.

2. How are the properties of composites calculated?

The properties of composites are calculated using mathematical models and equations that take into account the individual properties of each component and how they interact with each other.

3. What factors affect the properties of composites?

The properties of composites are affected by factors such as the type and amount of components used, the arrangement of the components, and the manufacturing process.

4. Why are composites used in various industries?

Composites are used in various industries because they can be tailored to have specific properties, making them ideal for a wide range of applications. They are also lightweight, durable, and have high strength-to-weight ratios.

5. Can the properties of composites be predicted accurately?

Yes, with advancements in modeling and testing methods, the properties of composites can be predicted with a high degree of accuracy. However, real-world variations in manufacturing and environmental conditions can affect the final properties of a composite material.