Minimum boundary when dividing eqilateral triangle in 4 equal sized parts

In summary, there are multiple ways to divide an equilateral triangle into four equal parts for a fence, but the most efficient method may involve creating a circle in the middle and connecting the midpoints of the sides or using a curve symmetrical around the bisectors. However, the exact solution has not been calculated and further exploration into differential equations or other mathematical concepts may be necessary. Another simple alternative involves bisecting each side and connecting the three midpoints to form a triangle, but it is unknown if this is the most minimal solution. There is also a discussion about the potential advantages of using a circle to cut off the corners, but no solid proofs or counterexamples have been presented.
jonas.hall
So I have an equilateral triangle an I want to divide it in 4 parts, all having the same area. This can be done in a multitude of ways of course. But assuming it's a garden and the division is about putting up a fence, which division uses the least fencing?

Now I have two alternatives so far.

The first is to create a cirle in the middle and add three short segments from the circle to the midpoints of the sides. There should be a uniqe such solution and I just haven't bothered calculating it yet.

The second is, in my opinion more interesting. Cut of the corners with a curve symmetrical around the bisectors. Now if this curve was a straight line at right angles to the bisector it would be uniquely determined. Also if it was a circle centered in the vertex. After calculating some special cases one might be satisfied and pick the best but I was thinking one might set up a differential equation to find the best possible curve. But how would I set this up? Perhaps this should be posted in Differential equations instead?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Here's a simple alternative - I don't know if it is minimal, but it might be. Bisect each side and connect the three midpoints to form a triangle. You will have four equilateral triangles, each having 1/4 of the area.

mathman said:
Here's a simple alternative - I don't know if it is minimal, but it might be. Bisect each side and connect the three midpoints to form a triangle. You will have four equilateral triangles, each having 1/4 of the area.

I tried that and the fencing needed is then exactly 0.5 of the total perimeter. Using a circle to cut of the corners lowers this to approximately 0.475. I have som argument that points towards thie circle being best, but no proofs or counterexamples.

Your example is actually the special case with a perpendicular line being the curve.

The circle bulges inward in the middle and comes out at the edges but because of the slope of the triangle the endpoints then come closer to each other, making the distance shorter.

I've been thinking about coshyp curves and parabolas but I wonder if the curve has to be orthogonal to any ray from the vertex, forcing it to be a circle. This might be so because this condition would minimize the distance for a given area locally, or infinitesimally. But I don't know if this holds "globally" i.e. when inegrated.

What is the concept of minimum boundary when dividing an equilateral triangle in 4 equal sized parts?

The concept of minimum boundary when dividing an equilateral triangle in 4 equal sized parts refers to finding the shortest possible perimeter or length of the lines that are used to partition the triangle into four equal parts.

Why is the concept of minimum boundary important in dividing an equilateral triangle in 4 equal sized parts?

The concept of minimum boundary is important because it helps to minimize the amount of material and resources needed to divide the equilateral triangle into four equal parts, making it a more efficient and cost-effective method.

What is the formula for calculating the minimum boundary when dividing an equilateral triangle in 4 equal sized parts?

The formula for calculating the minimum boundary is the perimeter of the original equilateral triangle divided by 4, which is equal to one-fourth of the original perimeter.

Can the minimum boundary ever be equal to the original perimeter of the equilateral triangle?

Yes, the minimum boundary can be equal to the original perimeter of the equilateral triangle if the triangle is divided into 4 equal parts by creating lines that are parallel to the sides of the triangle.

What are some real-life applications of the concept of minimum boundary when dividing an equilateral triangle in 4 equal sized parts?

The concept of minimum boundary is used in various fields such as construction and engineering, where resources and materials need to be efficiently utilized. It can also be applied in art and design, where dividing shapes into equal parts is important for creating symmetrical and aesthetically pleasing designs.