If 3f(x)+f(3-x)=x squared, what's f(x)?

• Thread starter pugfug90
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around a problem involving substitution and isolating f(x). The individual tried substituting x with y and then x-3, but the answer did not match the expected result. The conversation then moved on to discussing the concept of substitution and using two equations to get rid of f(3-x) and isolate f(x). The conversation also mentioned the possibility of looking up topics such as quadratic equations and function compositions. Finally, the conversation clarified the difference between substituting for x and setting it equal to x-3.
pugfug90

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I first tried replacing "x" when in parenthese with y. Therefor, 3y+3-y=x, yadda yadda, 2y=x-3, y=(x-3)/2, however, the real answer turned out to be some weird fractional thing. Please give me some kind of direction..

EDIT: Ignore that...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
pugfug90 said:
I first tried replacing "x" when in parenthese with y. Therefor, 3y+3-y=x, yadda yadda, 2y=x-3, y=(x-3)/2, however, the real answer turned out to be some weird fractional thing. Please give me some kind of direction..
OTHER EDIT!
Sorry! yes, my initial trick does work if you replace x by 3-x. I am obviously not thinking straight after having been teaching for 4 hours straight! just replace x by 3-x and then isolate your f(x)!

Ignore the rest...

EDIT: oops. I had read too quickly. My trick won't work right away. You will also have to consider replacing x by minus x to make it work

Start from the initial equation. Substitute x -> x-3 everywhere you see an x (on both sides of the equation. This will give you a new equation containing f(x) and f(x-3). Now use those two equations to get rid of f(3-x) to leave you with an answer for f(x)

Last edited:
3f(3-x)+f(x)=3-x is what I get if I plug in 3-x where x is...

pugfug90 said:
3f(3-x)+f(x)=3-x is what I get if I plug in 3-x where x is...

you mean [itex](3-x)^2[/itex] on the right side??

Oops haha
So 3f(3-x)+f(x)=(x squared)+9-6x.

So can you tell me where to go from here? I tried substituting y into x again, get (x squared - 6x)/-2, while the real answer is something like x/3+x/5-3 or something. Also, where did the 'plug 3-x for x everywhere' thing came from? And if this is a "topic" I can look up like for quadratic equations, or "f and g compositions"?

pugfug90 said:
Oops haha
So 3f(3-x)+f(x)=(x squared)+9-6x.

So can you tell me where to go from here? I tried substituting y into x again, get (x squared - 6x)/-2, while the real answer is something like x/3+x/5-3 or something. Also, where did the 'plug 3-x for x everywhere' thing came from? And if this is a "topic" I can look up like for quadratic equations, or "f and g compositions"?

if you substitute again you will get back to the initial equation. No, just use the two equations you now have. get rid of f(3-x) (isolate it from one equation and plug in the other one) and you can isolate f(x) now.

I am sorry, I was just reading through this thread: how can you substitute x for x-3? Doesn't this imply -3=0?

qspeechc said:
I am sorry, I was just reading through this thread: how can you substitute x for x-3? Doesn't this imply -3=0?
He said substitute for, not set equal to.

If it makes you feel better, try the (equivalent) substitution x -> y - 3.

3f(3-x)+f(x)=(x squared)+9-6x

get rid of f(3-x) (isolate it from one equation and plug in the other one) and you can isolate f(x) now.
===
If I want to isolate f(x).. it'd be f(x)=xsquared+9-6x-3f(3-x), right?

1. What does the equation 3f(x)+f(3-x)=x squared represent?

The equation represents a mathematical relationship between the function f(x) and the variable x, where the sum of 3 times the value of the function at x and the value of the function at 3-x is equal to the square of x.

2. How can I solve for f(x) in this equation?

To solve for f(x), you can use algebraic manipulation to isolate the function on one side of the equation. This may involve factoring, substitution, or other algebraic techniques.

3. Is there only one possible solution for f(x) in this equation?

No, there are likely multiple solutions for f(x) that would satisfy this equation. This may depend on the domain and range of the function, and additional information may be needed to determine the specific solution.

4. Can I use a graph or a table to find the value of f(x) for a given x?

Yes, you can use a graph or a table to estimate the value of f(x) for a specific x. However, for a precise solution, it is recommended to use algebraic methods.

5. Are there any restrictions on the values of x for which this equation is valid?

Yes, there may be restrictions on the values of x depending on the domain and range of the function and the operations involved in the equation. It is important to consider these restrictions when solving for f(x).