Has anyone ever received good marks on their finals after cramming?

In summary, the conversation is about the topic of cramming for exams. Some people have had success with cramming, but others recommend consistently keeping up with the material throughout the semester. The conversation also includes anecdotes about successful and unsuccessful cramming experiences, as well as the potential consequences of relying on cramming for exams.
Benzoate
just out of curiosity, has anyone ever received good marks on their final exams by cramming all the material you learned for the class for two days?

I crammed once for a calculus class, and its no walk in the park I tell ya.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's possible, I've done it before. The problem is that now I don't remember much at all from that class. Its best to put yourself in a situation where you don't need to cram. That is, keep up with the class all through the semester.

Just yesterday.

I had a 2pm exam and didn't start studying until 10:00am in the morning that day.

I'm sure I got an A. I wouldn't recommend going this route though.

I normally make it a priority to actually fully understand the material. Therefore, I don't have to study that much because it all makes sense.

It depends on the class. I've never been success in doing that for a math exam. I crammed for about 3hrs for a philosophy midterm and got 90%.

I actually find cramming works best. Not so much for exams when you have a whole years worth of stuff to know but for tests and that cramming works best for me :D

k3N70n said:
It depends on the class. I've never been success in doing that for a math exam. I crammed for about 3hrs for a philosophy midterm and got 90%.

Man, I just remembered. I had this midterm once and started studying like 40 minutes beforehand.

ha ha. What class was that for??

It was Financial Engineering.

I was lucky though. I had a cute girl who stopped by when I just started, and we studied together. She was just in my class but I never really talked to her before. Anyways, so we just ended up testing each other non-stop for 30 minutes. I understood the material. It was just a matter of remembering the formulas.

So, as soon as the midterm started, I wrote all the formulas in the margins.

We studied again for the final along with two other girls who are really fun. If it weren't for them, I probably wouldn't have done as well as I did.

I definitely discourage cramming, but have I done it at one time or another? Sure. We've all made that mistake. Once in a while there's a class you can get away with doing that, because it's mostly rote memorization to answer a fill-in-the-bubble test...just hope you never need that knowledge again, because you'll forget it as fast as you learned it.

But, if you actually get challenging questions that require thinking, problem-solving, or written-out answers, you're really going to be in trouble if you cram...besides not being able to learn the material in the depth needed, you're also going to be just plain exhausted and not thinking clearly enough to even get the stuff you do know right.

Just did that with a upper-level digital systems design course -- it did not help! I failed that test like no other, but so did my fellow peers, so it's all good. I guess?

1. Can cramming actually help improve grades on finals?

Cramming, or studying intensively for a short period of time, may provide temporary gains in knowledge and understanding, but it is not an effective long-term learning strategy. It is possible to receive good marks on finals after cramming, but it is not a reliable or sustainable approach to studying.

2. How much time should I spend cramming for a final?

The amount of time needed to effectively cram for a final varies depending on the subject, difficulty level, and individual study habits. However, it is generally recommended to spend no more than 2-3 hours per day cramming, with breaks in between to retain information better.

3. Is it better to cram the night before or spread it out over a few days?

Cramming the night before a final may seem like a quick fix, but it is not as effective as spreading out studying over a few days. This allows for better retention and understanding of the material. However, if there is limited time available, cramming the night before may be necessary.

4. What are some tips for effective cramming?

Some tips for effective cramming include creating a study schedule, focusing on key concepts and important information, using mnemonic devices to aid in memory retention, and taking short breaks in between study sessions. It is also important to get enough rest and stay hydrated while cramming.

5. Is cramming the only way to prepare for finals?

No, cramming is not the only way to prepare for finals. It is important to engage in regular studying and review throughout the semester to retain information and understand the material. Cramming should be used as a last resort and not relied on as the primary method of studying for finals.