Relativistic velocity derivation under constant force

In summary, the author has been unable to derive the relativistic velocity equation (for an object accelerating with a constant force- \frac{Fct}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^{2}}{c^{2}}}}) for near a month without any solution. However, they have been able to derive an equation from the F=ma relation which includes a Sin function, so they know it's wrong. They've also been unable to determine why. A user has offered a derivation that seems to work, but they're not sure where the error is. Any help is appreciated.
cbriggs
I've been attempting to derive the relativistic velocity equation (for an object accelerating with a constant force- [tex]\frac{Fct}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^{2}}{c^{2}}}}[/tex]) for near a month without any solution.

I've derived an equation form the F=ma relation which includes a Sin function, so I know it's wrong. However, I haven't been able to determine why. Could someone point me in the right direction?

My derivation:

Using [tex]a=\frac{F}{m}[/tex] and [tex]a\equiv\frac{dv}{dt}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dv}{dt}=\frac{F}{m}[/tex]

[tex]m dv= F dt[/tex] where [tex]m\equiv\frac{m_{o}}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^{2}}{c^{2}}}}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{m_{o} dv}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^{2}}{c^{2}}}}= F dt[/tex]

Integrate both sides

[tex]m_{o}c Sin^{-1}(\frac{v}{c})=Ft + constant[/tex]

Which gives an answer that doesn't make sense and obviously doesn't represent v(t)

[tex]\frac{v}{c}=Sin(\frac{Ft + const}{m_{o}c})[/tex]

Any idea where the error is, or how to get the correct expression? Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
cbriggs said:
...My derivation:

Using [tex]a=\frac{F}{m}[/tex] and [tex]a\equiv\frac{dv}{dt}[/tex] here is the mistake

[tex]\frac{dv}{dt}=\frac{F}{m}[/tex]

[tex]m dv= F dt[/tex] where [tex]m\equiv\frac{m_{o}}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^{2}}{c^{2}}}}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{m_{o} dv}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^{2}}{c^{2}}}}= F dt[/tex]

You have to write

[tex]\vec{F}=\frac{d\,\vec{p}}{d\,t},\quad \vec{p}=m\,\gamma\,\vec{v}, \quad \gamma=\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}} [/tex]

Thus first integrate

[tex]\vec{F}=\frac{d\,\vec{p}}{d\,t}\Rightarrow \vec{p}}=\vec{F}\,t+\vec{p}_o[/tex]

plug in [tex] \vec{p}=m\,\gamma\,\vec{v}[/tex] and solve for the velocity.

Rainbow Child said:
[tex]\vec{F}=\frac{d\,\vec{p}}{d\,t}\Rightarrow \vec{p}}=\vec{F}\,t+\vec{p}_o[/tex]

plug in [tex] \vec{p}=m\,\gamma\,\vec{v}[/tex] and solve for the velocity.

I assume you are talking coordinate values here, not "proper values", meaning the constant force will produce decreasing coordinate acceleration with time.

Question: will such a constant (coordinate) force produce a constant proper acceleration, i.e., as measured by an accelerometer on board the spacecraft ?

Last edited:
I assume you are talking coordinate values here, not "proper values", meaning the coordinate acceleration will decrease with time.

I don't really understand the terminology here! It is not you by my English! :smile:

The constant force [itex] \vec{F}[/itex] I mean is like the spacecraft is like a charge accelerating in a constant electrical field. Is that what you mean by constant coordinate force?

Wow... Thanks much, RC. I'm still not sure where my original math went wrong, but I'm okay with pondering that until I get the answer. My urgent task was to know how to derive the equation, which you have generously provided.

Jorrie- Yes: this applies to accelerating charges in a constant electric field (very good guess RC- you're on fire tonight), so no proper measurements required.

Regards to all,
Carey

Newton's 2nd law must be written in the form

[tex]\vec{F}=\frac{d\,\vec{p}}{d\,t}\Rightarrow \vec{F}=\gamma\,m\,\vec{a}+\gamma^3\,m\,\frac{\vec{v}\cdot\vec{a}}{c^2}\,\vec{v}[/tex]

for the spatial compontets of the four-force.

But this is a horrible point to start! :smile:

This link gives the equations of a rocket with constant acceleration (as felt by the occupants of the rocket)

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SR/rocket.html

It does not show the derivations but it gives you something to cross check your answers against.

This link gives a derivation of velocity from force. I’m not sure if the derivation is correct but the final answer agrees with the equations given by Baez.

http://www.usna.edu/Users/physics/mungan/Scholarship/ConstantAcceleration.pdf

The author makes the observation “The fact that the passengers feel one gee means that the force F measured in frame R is mg. However, as proved by French Eq. (7-20), an observer in frame E measures the same (longitudinal) force, despite the fact that she measures neither the same (relativistic) mass nor acceleration of the rocket. “ which simplifies things a bit.

Substituting F/m for a in the Baez equations(where m is the proper mass) and dividing by c we get:

[tex]\frac{v}{c}= \frac{1}{\sqrt{1+(m c)^2/(Ft)^2}}[/tex]

and

[tex]\frac{v}{c}= tanh\left(\frac{F T}{m c}\right)[/tex]

The last equation is in terms of the proper time and becomes:

[tex]\frac{v}{c}= tanh\left( sinh^{-1}\left(\frac{F t}{m c}\right)\right) [/tex] in terms of coordinate time.

I hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the concept of relativistic velocity?

Relativistic velocity refers to the speed at which an object moves in relation to an observer, taking into account the effects of special relativity. It takes into consideration the fact that time and space are relative and can be affected by factors such as gravity and acceleration.

How is relativistic velocity derived under constant force?

The derivation of relativistic velocity under constant force involves using the equations of motion and the principles of special relativity. It takes into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction on the motion of an object, as well as the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration.

What is the significance of relativistic velocity under constant force?

Relativistic velocity under constant force has significant implications in understanding the behavior of objects moving at high speeds. It helps to explain phenomena such as time dilation and length contraction, and it is essential in the development of theories such as special relativity and the general theory of relativity.

What are the assumptions involved in the derivation of relativistic velocity under constant force?

The derivation of relativistic velocity under constant force makes several assumptions, including the assumption that the force remains constant throughout the object's motion, there are no external forces acting on the object, and the object is moving in a straight line at a constant velocity.

How does the derivation of relativistic velocity under constant force differ from classical mechanics?

The derivation of relativistic velocity under constant force takes into account the effects of special relativity, while classical mechanics does not. It considers the fact that time and space are relative, and the principles of special relativity are required to accurately describe the motion of objects at high speeds.