Fracture Mechanics - Crack Propagation and Stress Intensity Factors

In summary, the software that was used to create the crack did not correctly calculate the stress intensity factor and therefore it is not clear if the crack will propagate and cause failure.
UnteljentEnginyr
I am trying to determine the critical crack length of a part using finite element analysis. The software I am using (ABAQUS) has the ability to perform fracture analysis. I model the part, create a crack, and ABAQUS will output the stress intensity factors (modes I, II, and III) and contour integrals in the area of the crack tip.

Theoretically, in order to determine the critical crack length, I would extend the length of my crack to see how it affects the stress intensity factor. Once the stress intensity factor exceeds the fracture toughness of the material, I'd consider that my critical crack length.

However, I never observe the stress intensity factor exceed the fracture toughness. Initially, the stress intensity factor is increasing as I grow the crack. As I continue to grow the crack, the stress intensity factor reaches a peak and then starts to decrease without ever having exceeded the fracture toughness of the material.

Does this indicate that the crack is arresting and there won't be failure due to the crack?

Engineering news on Phys.org
UnteljentEnginyr said:
I am trying to determine the critical crack length of a part using finite element analysis. The software I am using (ABAQUS) has the ability to perform fracture analysis. I model the part, create a crack, and ABAQUS will output the stress intensity factors (modes I, II, and III) and contour integrals in the area of the crack tip.

Theoretically, in order to determine the critical crack length, I would extend the length of my crack to see how it affects the stress intensity factor. Once the stress intensity factor exceeds the fracture toughness of the material, I'd consider that my critical crack length.

However, I never observe the stress intensity factor exceed the fracture toughness. Initially, the stress intensity factor is increasing as I grow the crack. As I continue to grow the crack, the stress intensity factor reaches a peak and then starts to decrease without ever having exceeded the fracture toughness of the material.

Does this indicate that the crack is arresting and there won't be failure due to the crack?
Or the constitutive model is wrong, or the model for stress intensity factor is incorrect, or ABAQUS code is wrong.

One needs to compare the calculation against a real experimental measurement to see if the local plastic strain is correct, and if crack propagation rates are correct.

Yea, I realize a real world test would be the best option at this point. Unfortunately, the people with the money make the calls.

What is fracture mechanics?

Fracture mechanics is a branch of materials science that studies the behavior of materials under stress and the ways in which cracks and fractures form and propagate.

What is crack propagation?

Crack propagation is the process by which a crack in a material grows and extends under the influence of applied stress. This can eventually lead to the failure of the material.

What are stress intensity factors?

Stress intensity factors are a measure of the stress intensity at the tip of a crack in a material. They are used to predict the likelihood of crack propagation and failure of the material.

How is fracture toughness related to fracture mechanics?

Fracture toughness is a measure of a material's resistance to crack propagation. It is influenced by factors such as the material's microstructure and the presence of defects, and is an important consideration in fracture mechanics analysis.

What are some applications of fracture mechanics?

Fracture mechanics has applications in a wide range of industries, including aerospace, automotive, and structural engineering. It is used to analyze and predict the behavior of materials under stress, and to design structures and components that are less likely to fail due to cracks and fractures.