Introduction to limits problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of limits of rational functions and how they can approach infinity or become undefined at certain values. The example of {\lim }\limits_{x \to 1} \frac{{2 - x}}{{(x - 1)^2 }} = \infty is used to demonstrate this concept and the conversation delves into the nature of infinity and how it relates to limits. There is also mention of set theory and the extended complex plane in relation to the concept of infinity.
fishingspree2
hello,
in my calculus introduction book, it is written:

Let a rational function: [tex]f(x) = \frac{{p(x)}}{{q(x)}}[/tex] and a, a real number

If q(a) equals 0, but not p(a), then [tex]{\lim }\limits_{x \to a} f(x)[/tex] does not exist.

however, while doing exercises on the internet, i found that:
[tex]{\lim }\limits_{x \to 1} \frac{{2 - x}}{{(x - 1)^2 }} = \infty[/tex]

is my textbook wrong?
thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Would you say that the other limit exist?

Saying that [itex]\lim_{\stack{x\rightarrow a}}f(x)= \infty[/itex] just means that the limit does not exist in a particular way.

Let's convert what you have found on the net into the formula in your textbook. so q(x) = (x-1)^2 , p(x) = 2 - x and x--> 1. From here, we can say that q(1) = 0 and p(1) = 1. If you calculate p(1) / q(1), you get infinitity. It means that this limit does not exist.

As x goes to 1, the denominator goes to zero (since, of course, (x-1)^2 = (1-1)^2 = 0. The smaller the denominator, the larger the output of the function. Since x makes the denominator shrink, we can rephrase the limit to be: "as denominator goes to zero, the output goes to a very large number."

Lets look at a different, more simple function for a moment: f(x) = 1/x. As x becomes very small, the output ("y") becomes very very large. So what happens when x goes to exactly zero? This is hard to get out head around, so instead of saying "what happens when x is zero," we shall make an 'inverse function.' Now we will take OUTPUTS, and receive x INPUTS. That is, large numbers will yield small numbers (where the small number, when put under a one, yields the original large number.)

y= 1/x ; now use algebra to move the terms: x = 1/y.

Now when y becomes large, x becomes small -- this is the inverse of the original function, now we START with the large number, y, and receive the small number x in return. What value of y will make x become zero? As y becomes increasingly large, x becomes increasingly small.

We can now say:

[itex]
\lim_{\stack{y\rightarrow a}}f(y)= 0
[/itex]

The question is, what value of a will make f(y) become zero? No matter HOW large we make y, x will still not be EXACTLY zero. It will become very close to zero, but it will not actually BE zero. Hence when x is actually 1 in your original example, we say that the output is "undefined." However, it is useful for practical purposes to say it is "infinity," since as x goes to 1, the output becomes increasingly large -- it's a way of saying the output becomes large without bound, even if the actual function is undefined at the value x is approaching (in this case, we get a divide by zero error.)

In this sense, as y goes to a large number, x goes to a small number. We say the limit is "zero" or "infinity" because zero and infinity signify the apex of each extreme. There is a very ambiguous nature behind limits and infinity, so beat yourself up if you can't get your head around it (I don't think many people do, if any.)

As a side note, there is a lot of inquiry as to the nature of infinity. You may be interested in reading about set theory and the extended complex plane -- they make some odd use of the notion of "infinity," though I'm unsure how to interpret it myself so I'll avoid going into detail here.

Last edited:

1. What is the concept of limits in mathematics?

Limits in mathematics refer to the value that a function or sequence approaches as the input or variable approaches a certain value. It is used to describe the behavior of a function or sequence near a particular point.

2. Why are limits important in calculus?

Limits are important in calculus because they are used to define the derivatives and integrals, which are fundamental concepts in calculus. They also allow us to analyze the behavior of a function at a particular point and make predictions about its values.

3. How do you solve limits problems?

To solve a limits problem, you need to first identify the type of limit (e.g. one-sided, infinite, etc.) and then apply the appropriate limit laws and rules. You can also use techniques such as factoring, rationalizing, and L'Hospital's rule to evaluate the limit.

4. What is the difference between a limit and the value of a function at a point?

The limit of a function at a point is the value that the function approaches as the input approaches that point. It may or may not be equal to the actual value of the function at that point. The value of a function at a point is the actual output of the function when the input is that specific point.

5. Can a function have a limit but not be continuous?

Yes, a function can have a limit at a point but still not be continuous at that point. This can happen when the function has a removable discontinuity (i.e. a hole) at that point. For a function to be continuous at a point, it must have a limit at that point and the limit must be equal to the value of the function at that point.