Exploring the Mystery of Light Bulb Blowing

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment about resistance and temperature and its relation to light bulbs blowing. The light bulb fails due to the current through the filament being too large, which is affected by the resistance. The higher the temperature, the higher the resistance. When the light is first turned on, there is a greater temperature difference and strain on the filament, causing it to eventually break. The conversation ends with the person being pleased with the information and mentioning that their teacher would also be pleased.
_Muddy_

Homework Statement

We did an experiment in class abvout resistance and temperature. The teacher told us to find out why light bulbs usually blow when you turn on the light. It must be related to the experiment we did which was seeing how resistance changed with temperature

Homework Equations

I'm not sure if there are any, If there are please tell me

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea why, and i wouldn't know where to look on the internet

thanks

_Muddy_

Physics news on Phys.org
The light bulb fails because the current through the filament is too large.
The current depends on the resistance
How does the resistance of metal change with temperature ?

mgb_phys said:
The light bulb fails because the current through the filament is too large.
The current depends on the resistance
How does the resistance of metal change with temperature ?

The higher the temperature the higher the resistance.

So then, the light bulb fails because the current through the filament is too large. The resistance is too low. So the temperature is too high. Is that correct? What actually happens to the filament, does it break? Why would a high temperature/ high current make the light bulb fail?

The filament is a thin metal wire - rather like a fuse.
When the filament is cold the resistance is lower and so the currentis higher.

The current heats the wire which expands which puts a mechanical strain on it.
Also when the light is first turned on is the greatest temperature difference and so the greatest strain - this is probablyy more important than the resistance in reality

thanks a lot for that, I'm pleased and my teacher should be pleased aswell

1. Why do light bulbs blow out?

Light bulbs blow out when the filament inside the bulb breaks. This can happen due to several factors, including old age, high voltage, and physical damage.

2. How does high voltage affect light bulbs?

High voltage can cause light bulbs to blow out because it puts extra strain on the filament, causing it to heat up and eventually break. It is important to use the correct wattage for your light fixture to prevent this from happening.

3. Can weather conditions affect light bulb life?

Yes, extreme weather conditions such as hot or cold temperatures can affect the lifespan of light bulbs. In hot temperatures, the heat can cause the filament to burn out faster, while in cold temperatures, the filament may take longer to heat up and may be more prone to breaking.

4. Is it normal for light bulbs to blow out frequently?

No, it is not normal for light bulbs to blow out frequently. If you are experiencing this issue, it could be due to a faulty electrical connection, incorrect wattage usage, or using low-quality bulbs. It is important to address the underlying issue to prevent frequent bulb blowouts.

5. Can I prevent light bulbs from blowing out?

While it is impossible to prevent light bulbs from blowing out completely, there are steps you can take to prolong their lifespan. This includes using the correct wattage, avoiding physical damage, and ensuring proper electrical connections. Additionally, using LED bulbs can also help reduce the chances of frequent bulb blowouts.