Pauli Matrices and Structure Constants

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a formula from Wikipedia to generate the Pauli matrices. It mentions that the generators are represented by matrices whose elements are defined by structure constants. The conversation then raises a question about the use of this formula for the first Pauli matrix and suggests that further thought is needed due to the small non-trivial matrix representation of dimension 3.
robousy
Hey folks,

I am trying to generate the Pauli matrices and am using the following formula taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SU(3 )

"In the adjoint representation the generators are represented by (n^2-1)×(n^2-1) matrices whose elements are defined by the structure constants"

[tex](T_a)_{jk} = -if_{ajk}[/tex]

ok - I'm fine up to here. Now it says, "For SU(2), the generators T, in the defining representation, are proportional to the Pauli matrices, via:"

[tex]T_a=\frac{\sigma_a}{2}[/tex]

So here is my problem. I am assuming that j and k run from 1:2. This way T_a is a 2x2 matrix. But let's try this for the first Pauli matrix:

[tex](T_1)_{11} = -if_{111}=0[/tex]
[tex](T_1)_{12} = -if_{112}=0[/tex]
[tex](T_1)_{21} = -if_{121}=0[/tex]
[tex](T_1)_{22} = -if_{122}=0[/tex]

[tex]
\sigma_{1} = \left(\begin{array}{cc}0 & 0\\0 & 0\end{array}\right)[/tex]

Clearly I am doing something wrong...but what?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
first of all here's a friendly advise : one might not want to truly learn something from wikipedia. democracy has its own problems.

anyways, please note that the smallest non-trivial matrix representation of dim n[tex]^{2}[/tex]-1 is for n=2, and the dim is 3. Pauli matrices are 2d reps. So you see all that follows this point need to be re-thought.

cheers

What are Pauli matrices?

Pauli matrices are a set of three 2x2 matrices named after physicist Wolfgang Pauli. They are used in quantum mechanics to describe the spin of particles, and are denoted by the symbols σx, σy, and σz.

What is the significance of Pauli matrices?

Pauli matrices are significant because they represent the fundamental operators for spin measurements in quantum mechanics. They also have numerous applications in fields such as quantum computing and particle physics.

How are Pauli matrices related to structure constants?

The structure constants for a Lie algebra can be calculated using the commutation relations between the Pauli matrices. In particular, the structure constants for the Lie algebra su(2) are related to the Pauli matrices σx, σy, and σz.

What are the properties of Pauli matrices?

Pauli matrices have several important properties, including being Hermitian, unitary, and traceless. They also satisfy the Pauli spin matrices algebra, which includes the commutation and anticommutation relations between the matrices.

How are Pauli matrices used in quantum mechanics?

Pauli matrices are used in quantum mechanics to represent the spin of particles and to perform spin measurements. They are also used in the formulation of quantum mechanics equations, such as the Schrödinger equation and the Dirac equation.