Need Some background on Clutches

• Thread starter Ronnin
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation involved a customer inquiring about TwinDisc clutches and the difficulty in finding replacement parts without identification. Suggestions were given on how to measure and identify the clutch, as well as a recommendation to contact Rockford Clutch Company for assistance.
Ronnin
I had a customer the other day inquire about TwinDisc clutches he's trying to buy parts for. This is out of my realm of the usual say to day stuff I sell but I would like to try to help him because he's a good customer. This particular clutch no longer has anything to ID it so I don't have a part number. I tried looking on TD's website but there isn't any exploded diagrams for me to figure out what I need. Does anyone here mess with these? I'd like to educate myself on them a bit before I just refer him to someone else.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Sorry about the delay...

What make and model equipment was the clutch from?
A twin disc clutch, or twin plate clutch is often used on a tractor to disconnect both the PTO drive and the drive to the transmission and wheels using one action.

Measure the outside diameter of the two clutch plates.
Measure the plate thickness.
Count the number of teeth on the spline.
Measure the spline inner and outer diameter.

The disc diameter and spline tooth count is usually enough to reduce the search for replacement friction plates.
That may also lead to the identity of the clutch manufacturer.

The dual and 3 disc clutch setups are for high horsepower racing applications typically. Tilton would be a good source .
https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=30664
Dual clutch are used for increased towing where a large clutch diameter is not practical. you increase surface area but keep footprint of the bell housing small.

Some years ago I was looking for a clutch that was used in a piece of ag equipment. The disk diameter was eleven inches. The company was out of business but I knew that clutch had to be 'standard' but couldn't find anyone who knew anything about them or what to spec. Finally I had a mechanic who ran a small shop hand me a piece of paper with a phone number on it and simply said: Call these guys. I dialed the number not knowing who I would even be connected to and it turned out to be Rockford Clutch Company. I told the lady what I was after, she asked the disk diameter and they shipped the correct clutch. No machine model number, no part number, nothing except the disk diameter. I was amazed.

Baluncore said:
Sorry about the delay...

Understatement of the week. :oldshy:

Likes Averagesupernova

1. What is a clutch?

A clutch is a mechanical device used in vehicles with manual transmissions to engage and disengage power transmission from the engine to the drivetrain. It allows the driver to change gears and control the power applied to the wheels.

2. How does a clutch work?

A clutch consists of two plates: the flywheel attached to the engine and the pressure plate attached to the transmission. When the clutch pedal is pressed, the pressure plate is released from the flywheel, allowing the engine to spin freely. When the clutch pedal is released, the pressure plate is re-engaged with the flywheel, transferring power from the engine to the transmission.

3. What are the different types of clutches?

The most common types of clutches are dry and wet clutches. Dry clutches are used in cars and motorcycles, while wet clutches are commonly found in high-performance vehicles and heavy-duty equipment. Other types include clutchless and semi-automatic clutches used in some sports cars and dual-clutch transmissions.

4. What are the signs of a failing clutch?

Some common signs of a failing clutch include difficulty shifting gears, a burning smell, slipping or jerking while accelerating, and a soft or spongy clutch pedal. If you experience any of these symptoms, it is important to have your clutch inspected and repaired by a professional mechanic.

5. How often should a clutch be replaced?

The lifespan of a clutch can vary greatly depending on driving habits and vehicle type. On average, a clutch can last anywhere from 50,000 to 100,000 miles. However, aggressive driving, towing heavy loads, and frequent stop-and-go traffic can decrease the lifespan of a clutch. It's important to have your clutch inspected regularly and replaced as needed to avoid costly damage to other components of your vehicle.