Vector products -Finding the direction of angular momentum

So it is in the direction 0, 0, 1. In summary, the torque is perpendicular to the xz plane and has a magnitude of 3.0N*m.
ctpengage
How do you resolve a vector products when the two vectors lie in different planes, i.e. how do you find the vector product of a vector that lies in the zx plane and a vector that lies in the xy plane. Using the right hand rule for vectors is redundant as the two vectors lie in different planes.

Can anyone help resolve this problem. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The specific problem I have is finding out what the torque is, about the origin O, due to a force, of magnitude 2.0N on a Point A, given by the position vector r in the xz plane where r is equal to 3.0m and the angle it makes is 30 degrees. The force is directed along the y axis. What is the direction of the torque? I can't use the right hand rule because the vector products are in a different plane.

Welcome to PF!

ctpengage said:
The specific problem I have is finding out what the torque is, about the origin O, due to a force, of magnitude 2.0N on a Point A, given by the position vector r in the xz plane where r is equal to 3.0m and the angle it makes is 30 degrees. The force is directed along the y axis. What is the direction of the torque? I can't use the right hand rule because the vector products are in a different plane.

Hi ctpengage! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Two vectors (from the same point) are always in a common plane. :smile:

In this case, the common plane is sloping at 30º to the "horizontal", and goes through the whole y-axis. :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Hi ctpengage! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Two vectors (from the same point) are always in a common plane. :smile:

In this case, the common plane is sloping at 30º to the "horizontal", and goes through the whole y-axis. :wink:

How do you use the right hand rule in that case?

ctpengage said:
How do you use the right hand rule in that case?

Hi ctpengage! :smile:

I'm wondering what version of the right hand rule you've been taught. :confused:

The one I know is where you point your right thumb along one vector, your right index finger along the other vector, and then the cross-product is where your middle finger is pointing.

If you use that, there should be no difficulty. :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Hi ctpengage! :smile:

I'm wondering what version of the right hand rule you've been taught. :confused:

The one I know is where you point your right thumb along one vector, your right index finger along the other vector, and then the cross-product is where your middle finger is pointing.

If you use that, there should be no difficulty. :wink:

How do I use it to solve the problem given above? In that the force vector is directed perpendicular to the position vector? As said two vectors from a point lie in a single plane. But how do you figure it out with respects to the x, y and z axes? Hopefully you'll understand what I mean.

ctpengage said:
How do I use it to solve the problem given above? In that the force vector is directed perpendicular to the position vector?

It's supposed to be!

The easiest case is where they are perpendicular!
As said two vectors from a point lie in a single plane. But how do you figure it out with respects to the x, y and z axes? Hopefully you'll understand what I mean.

Nooo … :confused:

If you know a coordinate method, you just use that.

If you just know the ordinary vector method, then just remember that the cross-product must be perpendicular to that sloping plane I mentioned earlier. :smile:

(which automatically makes it perpendicular to the original two vectors :wink:)

ctpengage said:
The force is along the y-axis and its magnitude is 2.0N. Okay, write it as <0, 2.0, 0>.

The position vector (assuming you mean "that angle it makes with the x-axis is 30 degrees) is <3.0cos(30), 0, 3.0sin(30)> = <[itex]\3\sqrt{3}/2, 0, 3/2>. The torque is the cross product of those two vectors.

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a concept in physics that describes the quantity of rotation of an object around an axis. It is defined as the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity.

2. How is angular momentum calculated?

Angular momentum is calculated by multiplying the moment of inertia of an object by its angular velocity. The moment of inertia depends on the mass distribution of the object and the axis of rotation, while the angular velocity is the rate of change of the object's angular displacement.

3. What is the direction of angular momentum?

The direction of angular momentum is perpendicular to the plane of rotation and follows the right-hand rule. This means that if you curl the fingers of your right hand in the direction of rotation, your thumb will point in the direction of the angular momentum.

4. How is the direction of angular momentum related to torque?

The direction of angular momentum is closely related to torque, which is the force that causes an object to rotate. The direction of torque and angular momentum are both perpendicular to the plane of rotation and follow the right-hand rule.

5. Can angular momentum change?

Yes, angular momentum can change. According to the law of conservation of angular momentum, the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless an external torque acts on the system. This means that the direction and magnitude of angular momentum can change if there is a change in either the moment of inertia or angular velocity of the object.