Having a hard time solving last part

• Thread starter mikenash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hard Time
In summary, the ball is thrown at a speed of 24.0 m/s and at an angle of 43.0° above the horizontal towards a wall that is 16.0 m away. The ball hits the wall at a height of 10.7 m above the release point. Its horizontal velocity component is 17.5 m/s and its vertical velocity component cannot be determined.
mikenash
You throw a ball toward a wall at speed 24.0 m/s and at angle θ0 = 43.0° above the horizontal (Fig. 4-35). The wall is distance d = 16.0 m from the release point of the ball. (a) How far above the release point does the ball hit the wall? What are the (b) horizontal and (c) vertical components of its velocity as it hits the wall?

(a)Number 10.7 Units m correct
(b)Number 17.5 Units m/s correct ---- cos(43)* 24
(c)Number Units m/s -- can not get --- attempt-- sin(43) *24

Physics news on Phys.org
mikenash said:
You throw a ball toward a wall at speed 24.0 m/s and at angle θ0 = 43.0° above the horizontal (Fig. 4-35). The wall is distance d = 16.0 m from the release point of the ball. (a) How far above the release point does the ball hit the wall? What are the (b) horizontal and (c) vertical components of its velocity as it hits the wall?

(a)Number 10.7 Units m correct
(b)Number 17.5 Units m/s correct ---- cos(43)* 24
(c)Number Units m/s -- can not get --- attempt-- sin(43) *24

What is your vertical velocity component when it strikes the wall? Remember at the time it strikes the wall it has been slowed by gravity and will no longer be the Initial vertical component. When you figure that, you can add the component vectors to arrive at the result.

= 17.5

It seems that you have correctly calculated the horizontal component of the ball's velocity as it hits the wall. To find the vertical component, you can use the same trigonometric function, but this time with the sine instead of the cosine. So, the vertical component would be sin(43)*24 = 17.5 m/s.

To verify your answer, you can also use the Pythagorean theorem to calculate the magnitude of the ball's velocity as it hits the wall. The magnitude would be the square root of (17.5^2 + 17.5^2) = 24.8 m/s, which is consistent with the initial velocity of 24 m/s.

I hope this helps you understand how to solve this problem. Keep in mind that when an object is launched at an angle, its velocity can be broken down into horizontal and vertical components using trigonometric functions. Good luck!

1. Why am I having a hard time solving the last part of my experiment?

There could be several reasons for this. It could be due to a lack of understanding of the concept or technique, insufficient data, or errors in the experimental setup. It is important to carefully review your methods and data to identify any potential issues.

2. What should I do if I am stuck on the last part of my experiment?

If you are stuck, it may be helpful to seek guidance from a mentor or colleague. They may be able to provide valuable insights or offer a different perspective on the problem. Additionally, taking a break and approaching the problem with a fresh mind can also be beneficial.

3. Is it normal to struggle with the last part of an experiment?

It is not uncommon to face challenges during the course of an experiment, particularly in the last part. This can be due to the complexity of the task or unexpected results. It is important to remain patient and persistent in finding a solution.

4. How can I improve my problem-solving skills for the last part of an experiment?

Problem-solving skills can be improved through practice and experience. It is important to carefully analyze the problem, break it down into smaller parts, and try different approaches. Seeking feedback and learning from previous experiments can also help in improving problem-solving abilities.

5. What steps can I take to prevent difficulties in the last part of an experiment in the future?

To prevent difficulties in the last part of an experiment, it is important to carefully plan and design the experiment beforehand. This includes thoroughly understanding the concept, ensuring proper experimental setup, and anticipating potential challenges. Additionally, keeping detailed records and regularly reviewing and analyzing data can also help in identifying and addressing issues in the earlier stages of the experiment.