Magnitude & Direction of Magnetic Field

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the magnitude and direction of the magnetic field experienced by an electron moving in the positive z direction, given its velocity and the force it experiences in that direction. The student attempted to solve the problem by plugging in values and assuming a 90 degree angle between the velocity and magnetic field vectors, but their answer was incorrect. They are now seeking assistance in determining the correct direction of the magnetic field.
yayirunin2car

Homework Statement

An electron moving with a speed of 9.0 multiplied by 105 m/s in the positive y direction experiences zero magnetic force. When it moves in the positive z direction it experiences a force of 1.7 multiplied by 10-13 N that points in the negative x direction. What is the magnitude and direction of the magnetic field?

Homework Equations

B = F/(|q|vsinθ)

The Attempt at a Solution

I plugged in the force, the velocity, the charge as 1.60e-19, and guessed that the angle was 90 degrees between the velocity and magnetic field vectors. My answer was wrong, and my guess of the direction of the magnetic field in the positive y direction was also wrong. So, I'm hoping it's in the negative y direction.

Any help?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
yayirunin2car said:
I plugged in the force, the velocity, the charge as 1.60e-19, and guessed that the angle was 90 degrees between the velocity and magnetic field vectors. My answer was wrong, and my guess of the direction of the magnetic field in the positive y direction was also wrong. So, I'm hoping it's in the negative y direction.
Details of the calculation are not shown. So, it is difficult to identify the mistake. Be sure to take into account the sign of the charge of the electron.

1. What is the magnitude of a magnetic field?

The magnitude of a magnetic field is a measure of its strength at a specific point in space. It is typically measured in units of Tesla (T) or Gauss (G).

2. How is the magnitude of a magnetic field calculated?

The magnitude of a magnetic field can be calculated using the equation B = μ₀I/2πr, where B is the magnetic field strength, μ₀ is the permeability of free space, I is the current, and r is the distance from the current.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of a magnetic field?

The magnitude of a magnetic field is affected by the strength of the current, the distance from the current, and the magnetic permeability of the surrounding material.

4. How is the direction of a magnetic field determined?

The direction of a magnetic field is determined by the direction of the magnetic force it exerts on a charged particle. The direction of the force is perpendicular to both the direction of the current and the direction of the magnetic field.

5. Can the direction of a magnetic field change?

Yes, the direction of a magnetic field can change depending on the orientation of the current or the movement of the charged particles within the field. Additionally, the direction of a magnetic field can be reversed if the current flows in the opposite direction.