Field Strenght tensor in QED

In summary, the conversation discusses the QED field strength tensor and specifically, equations 15.15 and 15.16 in Peskin's book. The focus is on the middle commutator in the equation and how it should be zero for the final result to be correct. The conversation also mentions an older thread where someone provided a helpful answer on the topic.
malawi_glenn
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Hi, I was reading earlier today in Peskin about QED field strenght tensor:

equation 15.15 and 15.16
[tex] [D_\mu, D_\nu ] \psi= [\partial _\mu , \partial _\nu ] \psi + ([\partial _\mu, A_\nu] - [\partial _\nu, A_\mu]) \psi + [A_\mu,A_\nu] \psi[/tex]

Where A is the gauge field...

That part, I have control over.

Now I know that the first and last commutator is zero (abelian gauge theory and partial derivatives commute), but the middle one is really bothering me!

I obtain:

[tex] (\partial _\mu A_\nu - \partial _{\nu} A_\mu) \psi + (-A_\nu\partial _\mu + A_\mu \partial _\nu) \psi [/tex]

And that last [itex](-A_\nu\partial _\mu + A_\mu \partial _\nu) \psi [/itex] should be ZERO, so that:

[tex] F_{\mu \nu} = [D_\mu, D_\nu ] = \partial _\mu A_\nu - \partial _{\nu} A_\mu [/tex]

BUT I don't know why ...

Any help or insight would, I would be very thankful of :shy:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I found an older thread "Yang Mills field stress tensor" where George Jones gave an excellent answer!

:-)

The middle term in the commutator, ([\partial _\mu, A_\nu] - [\partial _\nu, A_\mu]) \psi, is not zero because the gauge field A_\mu is not a constant, it is a function of space and time. This means that the derivative of A_\nu with respect to \partial _\mu is not necessarily equal to the derivative of A_\mu with respect to \partial _\nu. In other words, the order in which the derivatives act on the gauge field matters. This is why the middle term is not zero and leads to the field strength tensor F_{\mu \nu}.

To understand this better, let's look at the components of the field strength tensor:

F_{\mu \nu} = \partial _\mu A_\nu - \partial _{\nu} A_\mu

In the first term, we have the derivative of the gauge field with respect to the first index \mu, and in the second term, we have the derivative of the gauge field with respect to the second index \nu. This shows that the field strength tensor takes into account the non-commutativity of the derivatives acting on the gauge field.

So why is the last term, [A_\mu,A_\nu] \psi, also zero? This is because in QED, the gauge field A_\mu is a vector field, and vector fields commute with each other. This means that the commutator of two gauge fields is zero, and therefore the last term in the commutator is also zero.

I hope this helps to clarify the role of the field strength tensor in QED and why the middle term in the commutator is not zero. Keep in mind that the field strength tensor is crucial in understanding the interactions between particles in QED and plays a central role in the theory.

What is the field strength tensor in QED?

The field strength tensor in QED, also known as the electromagnetic tensor, is a mathematical representation of the electromagnetic field. It describes how electric and magnetic fields are related to each other and how they interact with charged particles.

How is the field strength tensor calculated?

The field strength tensor is calculated by taking the derivative of the vector potential with respect to space and time. It is a 4x4 matrix with 6 independent components, representing the electric and magnetic fields in all directions.

What is the significance of the field strength tensor in QED?

The field strength tensor is crucial in understanding the behavior of electromagnetic fields and their interactions with charged particles. It is used in the equations of motion for charged particles and is also important in the calculation of Feynman diagrams in quantum electrodynamics.

How does the field strength tensor relate to Maxwell's equations?

The field strength tensor is a mathematical representation of Maxwell's equations, which describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. In particular, the tensor is related to the equations for the electric and magnetic fields in vacuum, known as Gauss's law and Ampere's law.

Can the field strength tensor be extended to other theories besides QED?

Yes, the field strength tensor is a fundamental concept in electromagnetism and can be extended to other theories, such as quantum chromodynamics (QCD) and electroweak theory. In these theories, the field strength tensor represents the interactions of different types of fields, such as the strong and weak nuclear forces.