Brewing Wort: Calculating Boil Length for Desired Gravity

• Thread starter Ohio Homebrew
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Boil
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of home brewing and how to calculate the boiling time needed to reach the desired specific gravity of the wort. The participants also mention various methods of measuring specific gravity and the potential impact of external factors on the brewing process.
Ohio Homebrew
Hello. I am not quite sure this is the correct place for this question so I will apologize now if it isn't. As a home brewer I mash the malt with hot water and collect the runoff (called wort) which contains the sugars needed for fermentation. Most recipes call for a boil length of either 60 or 90 minutes with an anticipated specific gravity at the end of the boil. My question is this, if I know:

The volume of wort collected in gallons
The specific gravity of the wort before the boil
The anticipated specific gravity post boil
The temperature at which the wort boils, 212° F
An evaporation rate of 20% per hour

How long must the boil be to reach the anticipated specific gravity? I'm not too worried about humidity, ambient temperature, elevation, or other external factors, but knowing this could make planning a brew day much easier.

Thank You,

Tom Dible

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
i don't know, Buckeye Brother
bnut i'll be there to sample any runs...
since we don't have a college ball team these days..

where's Woody?

Hi Tom,

I have attempted a few brews before. I have never tried calculate boiling time and such.
I basically use a hydrometer to find specific gravity. I find this the most accurate method considering all the variables, especially brewing from 'scratch'.

I have a friend that is a brewer in a commercial micro brewery. His test for the wort is a pipette of several mm to taste, and hydrometer.

LOL, I think, sometimes the more random variables added into the brew only tend to make it more interesting.

Yes, I also would like to be there to have a 'wee' sample of your run.

1. What is wort?

Wort is the liquid extracted from malted grains during the brewing process. It contains fermentable sugars that will later be turned into alcohol by yeast.

2. Why is calculating boil length important for desired gravity?

Boiling wort is an essential step in the brewing process as it helps to extract bitterness from hops and sterilize the wort. Calculating the boil length is important because it determines the concentration of sugars in the wort, which ultimately affects the alcohol content and flavor of the final beer.

3. How is boil length calculated for desired gravity?

To calculate the boil length for desired gravity, you will need to know the starting gravity of the wort, the boil-off rate (amount of liquid lost during boiling), and the target gravity. You can then use a formula to determine the length of time needed to boil the wort to reach the desired gravity.

4. What factors can affect the calculation of boil length for desired gravity?

The amount and type of malt used, the efficiency of the brewing system, and the boil-off rate can all affect the calculation of boil length for desired gravity. Other factors such as water chemistry and hop utilization can also play a role in the final gravity of the wort.

5. Can the boil length be adjusted during the brewing process?

Yes, the boil length can be adjusted during the brewing process if the original calculation was not accurate. If the gravity is too low, the boil length can be extended to evaporate more liquid and increase the concentration of sugars. Alternatively, if the gravity is too high, the boil can be shortened to reduce the concentration of sugars in the wort.