Probability of the Bit Torrent technology

In summary, the conversation discusses a probability question related to the file-sharing program BitTorrent. The program divides files into segments and each segment is further divided into blocks, which are then distributed randomly to users. The question is whether, given certain conditions, it is likely that a group of 5 users will have 100% of the file collectively. The conversation also explores the likelihood of this happening when considering percentages and blocks. Ultimately, the probability of this occurring is around 68.7%, with a 50/50 chance when each person has a ~77.39% chance of downloading each segment.
Chaos' lil bro Order
Hi, I am not the greatest at math but I found an interesting probability question for you guys to think through. It has to do with the popular peer-to-peer program called BitTorrent, which people use to share files on the internet, typically ranging in file size from 5MB for a single song, to 4.5GB for a DVD movie. Bittorrent divides each file into segments and each segment is divided further into blocks. See below for an example:

File: Movie
Size: 600MB
# of Segments: 1172
Segment Size: 512KB
# of Blocks: 32

Bittorrent distributes these segments to other users on the network at random. The segments do not have to be distributed in order from 1 to 1172. Instead you may get #342, then #21, then #879, etc. Its all random for a very neat reason. Say the person who originally uploaded the DVD File onto the network, only stays online for a brief period of time. During this time, 5 Bittorrent users start downloading the File from this original uploader. But because the uploader does not stay online for very long, the 5 users only complete downloading about 80% of the File each. In fact, let's say each user downloads exactly 80% by some freak chance, so we can simplify the question. But clearly there would be a distribution of percentages based largely on each user's bandwidth, but I digress. What's neat is that even though each user has exactly 80% of the File, since the File was distributed in segments and each segment distributed randomly to the 5 users, you can see that its pretty likely that together, on aggregate, all 5 users' combined segments, may total 100% of the File. Or is it likely? This is what I'd like to know.

Another question of interest, is given the same problem, at what percentage would one find it a 50/50 proposition that the 5 users do in fact have 100% of the File collectively?

Finally, if we include blocks in our calculation, that is to say, each File is divided into segments and then into blocks and it is these blocks that are distributed randomly, at what percentage would would one find it a 50/50 proposition that the 5 users do in fact have 100% of the File collectively? Perhaps this is just like saying there are 1172x32 segments instead of 1172, as I say, I'm not great at math logic.

Note, that this is my rough understanding of how Bittorrent works. I'm sure its not a perfectly accurate illustration, but I think the question is pretty well defined in and of itself.

Cheers for your replies,

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
If instead of each person having downloaded exactly 80% of the segments, let's say that each person has an 80% chance to have downloaded any individual segment. Then the chance that at least one person downloaded a given segment is 1 - (1 - 0.8)^5 = 99.9968%. The chance that all 1172 segments have been downloaded is then 0.999968^1172 ~= 68.7%.

For this modified problem, there is a 50/50 chance when each person has a ~77.39% chance to download each segment.

CRGreathouse said:
If instead of each person having downloaded exactly 80% of the segments, let's say that each person has an 80% chance to have downloaded any individual segment. Then the chance that at least one person downloaded a given segment is 1 - (1 - 0.8)^5 = 99.9968%. The chance that all 1172 segments have been downloaded is then 0.999968^1172 ~= 68.7%.

For this modified problem, there is a 50/50 chance when each person has a ~77.39% chance to download each segment.

Very interesting, thank you.

1. What is the probability of successfully downloading a file using BitTorrent?

The probability of successfully downloading a file using BitTorrent depends on several factors, such as the number of seeders (users who have the complete file and are sharing it) and leechers (users who are downloading the file), the speed of your internet connection, and the health of the torrent (availability of seeders). Generally, the more seeders there are for a particular file, the higher the probability of successfully downloading it.

2. How does the BitTorrent protocol handle errors or incomplete downloads?

The BitTorrent protocol uses a technique called "piece selection" to handle errors or incomplete downloads. This means that the file is divided into smaller pieces, and each piece is downloaded from different seeders. If there is an error in one piece, the protocol will automatically request that piece from a different seeder, reducing the chances of a failed or incomplete download.

3. Is there a way to increase the probability of faster download speeds with BitTorrent?

Yes, there are a few ways to increase the probability of faster download speeds with BitTorrent. One way is to choose torrents with a high number of seeders. Another way is to adjust your BitTorrent client's settings to allow for more simultaneous downloads and connections. Additionally, maintaining a good ratio (uploading as much as you download) can also help increase download speeds.

4. Are there any risks associated with using BitTorrent?

Using BitTorrent does come with some risks, as with any peer-to-peer file sharing technology. The biggest risk is downloading copyrighted material without permission, which can result in legal consequences. Additionally, there is a small possibility of downloading malicious files or viruses, so it is important to use caution and only download from trusted sources.

5. Can I use BitTorrent to download large files more efficiently?

Yes, BitTorrent is designed specifically for downloading large files more efficiently. By utilizing the distributed nature of peer-to-peer sharing, BitTorrent allows for faster downloads and reduces strain on servers. It is commonly used for downloading large files such as movies, TV shows, and software.