Thermodynamics: Control Volume analysis using energy

In summary, the problem involves steam flowing through an uninsulated pipe at a certain flow rate and temperature, and exiting at a lower pressure and temperature. The goal is to determine the amount of energy lost from the steam per hour. The solution involves using the full energy equation and simplifying it by taking into account the steady state of the problem and the fact that there is no elevation change or work being done. Velocity can also be neglected in this problem.
aznkid310

Homework Statement

Steam flows through an uninsulated pipe at 0.5 kg/s, entering at 5 bar, 440 C and exiting at 3 bar, 320 C. How much energy is lost from the steam per hour?

Homework Equations

Which terms in the energy eqn can drop out? I'm having trouble with that.

Is there only one W?

The Attempt at a Solution

Starting w/ the full energy eqn:

de/dt = Q - W_ + (m_i)[u_i + (p_i)(v_i) + (v_i)^2 + g*z_i] - (m_e)[u_v + (p_e)(v_) + (v_e)^2 + g*z_e]

where Q = vol. flow rate
W = work rate
m = mass flow rate
subscript e = out
subscript i = in
v = velocity
u = specific internal energy
p = pressure

So z_i = z_e = 0

Q = mv = (0.5)(0.6548) = 0.3274?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would treat this as a steady state problem. Meaning your mass flow rate in is going to equal your mass flow rate out. and de/dt is zero.

Since we're not given any sorts of elevation, the potential energy will be drop out. No work is happening, so W will also drop out.

You will be left with
Q/m=hb-ha+(V^2/2)b-(V^2/2)a

h is of course equal to u+pv

a=in
b=out
m=mass flow rate
Q=energy rate
v=specific volume
h=enthalpy
V=velocity

I can't check any of your values because I don't have a thermo book with me.

ok that makes sense, but how do i find velocity?

You know what, based on the information given, I would let velocity drop out as well. In a basic thermo class most prevalent place you're going to see velocity -not- being negligible is in nozzle and diffuser problems, or where it is expressively given to you in the problem statement.

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of science that deals with the study of energy and its transformations, particularly in relation to heat, work, and internal energy.

2. What is a control volume in thermodynamics?

A control volume is a defined region in space that is used to analyze the flow of energy into and out of a system. It can be fixed or moving and is used to study the effects of mass, energy, and momentum transfer.

3. How is energy analyzed using control volume in thermodynamics?

In thermodynamics, energy is analyzed using the control volume method, which involves applying the laws of thermodynamics to a specific volume in space. This allows for the determination of energy transfer, work, and heat interactions within the system.

4. What is the difference between energy and heat in thermodynamics?

Energy is a general term that refers to the ability to do work, while heat is a specific type of energy that is transferred between objects due to a temperature difference. In thermodynamics, heat is often used to describe the transfer of thermal energy.

5. What is the importance of using energy balance in thermodynamics?

The energy balance equation is a fundamental tool in thermodynamics that is used to assess the flow of energy into and out of a system. It helps to ensure that energy is conserved and can be used to analyze and optimize processes and systems.