Mann-Whitney U Test: p=1.0 - Should I Report z = 0.0001?

• Thread starter nobahar
  • Start date
In summary, p=1.0 in a Mann-Whitney U test, but z=0.0001 and p=0.99 are also possible. SPSS does not correct for differences in number of participants.
nobahar
Hey everyone,
I got z = 0, and therefore p = 1.0 in a Mann-Whitney U test. Considering this is impossible, should I instead report z = 0.0001 and p = 0.99?
Also, I have a different number of participants in my two conditions, I ran a parametric independent samples t-test, does anyone know if SPSS (the program I used) corrects for this?
Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think SPSS sorts for that.

How have you entered your data in SPSS, since that might sometimes do the trick. You might just have entered it the wrong way. Try to transpose your data and see what SPSS then comes up with if you do the same...

Thanks for the reply sander.
I can’t remember how I entered it into SPSS as it was awhile ago now. I 'remember' (for what episodic memory is worth!) making several attempts. I normally do. I also did the calculations by hand (as was standard unless there was a lot of participants, in which case its far to laborious and more prone to errors). If I recall, it came close to z=0, but wasn't quite so; would this make sense? I'm pretty sure SPSS simply took it to be z=0, when it clearly couldn't have been.
I think I resolved to put P=0.99 on the assignment.

nobahar said:
Thanks for the reply sander.
I can’t remember how I entered it into SPSS as it was awhile ago now. I 'remember' (for what episodic memory is worth!) making several attempts. I normally do. I also did the calculations by hand (as was standard unless there was a lot of participants, in which case its far to laborious and more prone to errors). If I recall, it came close to z=0, but wasn't quite so; would this make sense? I'm pretty sure SPSS simply took it to be z=0, when it clearly couldn't have been.
I think I resolved to put P=0.99 on the assignment.

Hmmm now that's odd. SPSS is some weird stuff, it works just totally against your instincts.

I think resolving the problem by saying p=0.99 doesn't solve the problem...

It might be that your data is rounded, which might just make the difference between 0.99 and 1.00. SPSS usually uses 2.2 significance. (ie 12.34 -> 12.3456 will become 1.36).

1. What is the Mann-Whitney U Test?

The Mann-Whitney U Test is a non-parametric statistical test used to compare two independent groups on a continuous or ordinal outcome variable. It is used when the assumptions of a parametric test, such as the t-test, are not met.

2. How is the test statistic, U, calculated in the Mann-Whitney U Test?

The test statistic, U, is calculated by ranking all the data from both groups together, with the smallest value being assigned a rank of 1. The sum of ranks for each group is then calculated, and the smaller sum is used as the test statistic. This test statistic is then compared to a critical value to determine if there is a significant difference between the two groups.

3. What does a p-value of 1.0 indicate in the Mann-Whitney U Test?

A p-value of 1.0 in the Mann-Whitney U Test indicates that there is no significant difference between the two groups being compared. This means that the null hypothesis, which states that there is no difference between the groups, cannot be rejected.

4. Should I report the z-value when the p-value is 1.0 in the Mann-Whitney U Test?

No, the z-value should not be reported when the p-value is 1.0 in the Mann-Whitney U Test. The z-value is only relevant when the p-value is less than or equal to 0.05, as it is used to calculate the p-value. When the p-value is 1.0, the z-value has no meaning.

5. How should I interpret the results of a Mann-Whitney U Test with a p-value of 1.0?

If the p-value is 1.0, it means that there is no significant difference between the two groups being compared. This could be due to a lack of power in the study, meaning that the sample size was too small to detect a difference, or that there truly is no difference between the groups. It is important to consider the context of the study and the research question when interpreting the results of a Mann-Whitney U Test with a p-value of 1.0.