Nodal Analysis Problem (Basic Circuit Analysis)

In summary, using Ohm's law and current division, the currents v1 and v2 can be found in a circuit with a 6A source, 8 ohm and 4 ohm resistors, and a 10A output. The equations (V2-V1) = 16 and (4+2) Ohm = (v1/8 Ohm) + (v2/4 Ohm) + (6A/8 Ohm) were used to solve for v1 and v2, resulting in v1 = 4.2 A and v2 = 16.8 A. The voltage across the circuit was found to be 33.6 V. The use of Kirchhoff
Ginko

Homework Statement

Find v1 and v2 from the given picture.

Homework Equations

Ohm's law, V=IR
Current Division

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to use current division. The 6A source split into 2, giving 2A down the 8 ohm resistor and 4 amperes down the 4 ohm resistor. Since 10A goes out of the second node, 6A must come up from the ground.

I know one equation would be (V2-V1) = 16. I just can't seem to find the other equation. =/

Attachments

• 3.1.png
    3.1.png
    3.3 KB · Views: 547
Physics news on Phys.org
Try Kirchhoff's circuit laws

You have three loop.

Besides, 8 Ohm:(4+2) Ohm

do you have the answers
I got v1 = 4.2 A & v2 = 16.8
and voltage = 33.6
I want to know if I did it right or not

1. What is nodal analysis and how is it used in basic circuit analysis?

Nodal analysis is a method used in basic circuit analysis to determine voltage and current values at different points in a circuit. It is based on Kirchhoff's current law, which states that the sum of currents entering a node must be equal to the sum of currents leaving the node.

2. What are the steps involved in nodal analysis?

The steps in nodal analysis are as follows:
1. Identify all the nodes in the circuit.
2. Choose a reference node and label it as 0V.
3. Write Kirchhoff's current law equations for each node (except the reference node).
4. Solve the equations to find the voltage at each node.
5. Use Ohm's law to calculate the current through each resistor.

3. Can nodal analysis be used in circuits with dependent sources?

Yes, nodal analysis can be used in circuits with dependent sources. The dependent sources are treated as additional variables in the Kirchhoff's current law equations.

4. Is nodal analysis more accurate than other circuit analysis methods?

Nodal analysis is a systematic and accurate method for analyzing circuits, but it is not necessarily more accurate than other methods such as mesh analysis or Thevenin's theorem. The accuracy of the method depends on the skill of the person performing the analysis and the assumptions made in simplifying the circuit.

5. Are there any limitations to using nodal analysis in circuit analysis?

One limitation of nodal analysis is that it can only be used for circuits that can be represented as a network of nodes and branches. It also assumes linear components and is not suitable for circuits with non-linear elements such as diodes or transistors. Additionally, it can become complex and time-consuming for larger and more complex circuits.