Transformation Function - Position & Momentum Operators

In summary, the conversation discusses a student's attempt to derive the transformation function for quantum physics. They are struggling to understand how to include both x' and p' in the exponential and where the constant N comes from. The other person suggests that the problem is similar to solving a differential equation and asks if the student knows how to solve it.
dengar768

Homework Statement

I am currently studying for my quantum physics exam and I am trying to derive the Transformation function:
⟨x'│p' ⟩=Nexp{(ip' x')/ℏ}

Homework Equations

⟨x'│p' ⟩=Nexp{(ip' x')/ℏ}

The Attempt at a Solution

Now I get how to get to
p'⟨x'│p' ⟩=-iℏ d/dx' ⟨x'│p' ⟩

but i can't work out how to get both the p' and the x' into the expontential and I am not sure how to explain where the N comes from. Every example i find seems to jump from p'⟨x'│p' ⟩=-iℏ d/dx' ⟨x'│p' ⟩ straight to ⟨x'│p' ⟩=Nexp{(ip' x')/ℏ} without any explanation.
Would anybody be able to explain how to do this?
Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you have a differential equation,
[tex]p \langle x \vert p \rangle = -i\hbar \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}x} \langle x \vert p \rangle[/tex]
do you know how to solve it?

No. Is this problem easier than I am making it?

Do you know how to solve [itex] a f(x)=f'(x)[/itex]? This is exactly the same.

1. What is a transformation function?

A transformation function is a mathematical function used to convert between different representations of a physical system. In the context of quantum mechanics, a transformation function can be used to convert between the position and momentum representations of a quantum state.

2. What are position and momentum operators?

Position and momentum operators are mathematical operators used in quantum mechanics to represent the position and momentum of a particle. The position operator, denoted by x, gives the position of a particle in space, while the momentum operator, denoted by p, gives the momentum of a particle. These operators are used to calculate the values of position and momentum for a given quantum state.

3. How are position and momentum operators related to the transformation function?

The position and momentum operators are related to the transformation function through the Heisenberg uncertainty principle. The transformation function allows us to convert between the position and momentum representations of a quantum state, and the position and momentum operators are used to calculate the values of position and momentum in each representation. The uncertainty principle states that the more precisely we know the position of a particle, the less precisely we can know its momentum, and vice versa.

4. How does the transformation function affect the measurement of position and momentum?

The transformation function does not directly affect the measurement of position and momentum. However, it allows us to convert between the position and momentum representations of a quantum state, which can then be used to calculate the expected values of position and momentum for a measurement. The uncertainty principle still applies, so the more precisely we know the position of a particle, the less precisely we can know its momentum.

5. How is the transformation function used in quantum mechanics?

The transformation function is an essential tool in quantum mechanics, as it allows us to convert between different representations of a quantum state. This allows us to calculate the expected values of physical quantities such as position and momentum, and to study the behavior of quantum systems in different representations. The transformation function is also used in the development of quantum algorithms and in the study of quantum entanglement.