Block is lowered into water, what is weight of water spilled?

In summary, a 400 cm^3 block of aluminum with a density of 2.7 g/cm^3 is lowered into a completely full beaker of water. The question asks for the weight of water that spills out of the beaker, with the correct answer being 4N. The correct approach is to calculate the volume of the block, which is equal to the amount of water displaced. This volume is 400 cm^3, and its mass is 400 g or 0.4 kg. Therefore, the weight of the spilled water is 4N.
test2morrow

Homework Statement

A 400 cm^3 block of aluminum (D=2.7 g/cm^3) is lowered into a completely full beaker of water. What is weight of water that spills out of the beaker? Correct answer is 4N.

Homework Equations

D=m/v

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured out the volume of the block which will equal to the amount of water displaced...and I did not get 4N.

Physics news on Phys.org
What did you get?

I got 10.8 N

I figured out the mass (not volume as previously stated) and used w=mg

test2morrow said:

Homework Statement

A 400 cm^3 block of aluminum (D=2.7 g/cm^3) is lowered into a completely full beaker of water. What is weight of water that spills out of the beaker? Correct answer is 4N.
/QUOTE]

When 400 cm^3 block of aluminum is completely lowered in the water, 400 cm^3 of water is spilled out. Its mass is 400 g or 0.4 kg. Find the weight of this water.

thanks, that helped. my brain just isn't working today.

1. What is the weight of the block when it is lowered into water?

The weight of the block when it is lowered into water remains the same as when it is in air. The block's weight is determined by its mass and the force of gravity, which does not change when it is submerged in water.

2. How does the weight of the block affect the amount of water spilled?

The weight of the block does not directly affect the amount of water spilled. However, the displacement of the water by the block may cause some water to spill out of the container.

3. Does the shape of the block affect the amount of water spilled?

Yes, the shape of the block can affect the amount of water spilled. A block with a larger surface area will displace more water and therefore, more water may spill out of the container.

4. Is the weight of the water spilled equal to the weight of the block?

No, the weight of the water spilled is not equal to the weight of the block. The weight of the water spilled is equivalent to the weight of the water that is displaced by the block.

5. How does the density of the block and water affect the amount of water spilled?

The density of the block and water do not directly affect the amount of water spilled. However, if the block is less dense than water, it will float and displace a larger volume of water, potentially causing more water to spill out of the container.