Average speed, and total distance traveled

In summary, Sally travels for a total of 102 minutes, with a combination of driving and stopping for lunch and gas. She travels at an average speed of 53.5 km/h and covers a total distance of 91 km. To calculate the average speed, the formula Vavg = total distance/time is used, and to calculate the total distance, the formula Vavg = change in displacement/time is used. To find the values, the minutes are converted to hours and multiplied by the corresponding speeds. The units for a.) average speed is km/h and for b.) total distance is km.
Porcelain

Homework Statement

Sally travels by care from on city to another. She drives for 30.0 min at 80.0 km/h, 12.0 min at 105 km/h, and 45.0 min at 40. km/h, and she spends 15.0 min eating lunch and buying gas.
a.) Determine the average speed for the trip.
b.) Determine the total disance traveled.

Homework Equations

Vavg= total distance/time
Vavg=change in displacement/time

The Attempt at a Solution

a.) is 53.5, and b.) is 91 but I am not sure how to get them.
My friend was trying to explain it to me, and said to turn all the minutes into hours and multiple them by the speeds. I did that and got 91, but I am not sure why i had to do that.

Physics news on Phys.org
what are the units of 53.5? Give units in your answers.

a.) is km/h and b.) is km, i figured it out though.

What is average speed?

Average speed is a measure of how fast an object or person is moving over a certain distance in a given amount of time. It is calculated by dividing the total distance traveled by the total time taken.

How is average speed different from instantaneous speed?

Average speed is a measure of the overall speed of an object over a period of time, while instantaneous speed is the speed at a specific moment in time. Instantaneous speed can change constantly, while average speed remains constant unless there is a change in the overall speed.

How is total distance traveled calculated?

Total distance traveled is the sum of all the distances covered during a journey. It can be calculated by adding up the individual distances traveled in each segment of the journey.

Can average speed be greater than instantaneous speed?

Yes, it is possible for average speed to be greater than instantaneous speed. This can happen when an object has varying speeds throughout its journey, with a higher speed during certain parts of the journey.

How can average speed be affected by changes in distance or time?

If the distance traveled remains constant, but the time taken to cover that distance changes, then the average speed will also change. Similarly, if the time taken remains constant, but the distance traveled changes, the average speed will also change.