How do i find the mass of a mysteryious object?

• Thread starter elpermic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass
In summary, to find the mass of a mysterious object (a tile) when given the area in centimeters squared, you need to know the mass per unit area. The average mass per unit area from a previous lab was 0.285824 g/cm^2, so if this value is multiplied by the given area, the result will be the mass of the object.
elpermic

Homework Statement

i'm suppose to find the mass of a mysterious object(a tile)i i know the area, which is centimeters squared, and asked to find the mass. would i just multiple g/cm^2 and my area together to get the mass?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Unless you know the mass per unit area you can't get the mass from the area alone.

well the average mass per unit area we had from this lab was 0.285824 g/cm^2. so if i multiplied the average x area i would get the mass?

elpermic said:
well the average mass per unit area we had from this lab was 0.285824 g/cm^2. so if i multiplied the average x area i would get the mass?

then yes.

1. How do I measure the mass of a mysterious object?

The mass of an object can be measured using a scale or balance. Place the object on the scale and record the reading. This will give you the mass of the object in grams (g).

2. Can I use a ruler to find the mass of an object?

No, a ruler measures length, not mass. Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while length is a measure of size or distance.

3. What unit of measurement is used for mass?

The standard unit of measurement for mass is the gram (g). However, in some cases, larger units such as kilograms (kg) or smaller units such as milligrams (mg) may be used.

4. Is there a difference between mass and weight?

Yes, mass and weight are two different measurements. Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass is constant, while weight can change depending on the gravitational pull of the planet or object an object is on.

5. What should I do if the object's mass is too small to measure on a scale?

In this case, you can use a more precise instrument called a balance. A balance can measure smaller masses, such as those in milligrams (mg). You can also use a formula to calculate the mass based on the object's density and volume, if those measurements are available.