Finding the Transfer Function of an RLC Circuit with Parallel Capacitance

In summary, the user is having trouble finding the transfer function for a circuit with a higher order denominator compared to the numerator. They are seeking assistance and clarification on the correct schematic and how it may affect their results. Ultimately, they need to find the impulse response of the circuit.
sagar615
When i tried to find V_o(s)/V_i(s), i got a transfer function in s domain as,
degree of denominator was greater than that of numerator.
please help me find the transfer function of the attached circuit. i eventually need to find the impulse response.

Attachments

• circuit.jpg
    circuit.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 455
Physics news on Phys.org
sagar615 said:
When i tried to find V_o(s)/V_i(s), i got a transfer function in s domain as,
degree of denominator was greater than that of numerator.
please help me find the transfer function of the attached circuit. i eventually need to find the impulse response.

Welcome to the PF. What transfer function do you get? Show us what you got.

And why would it maybe be good if the denominator had a higher order than the numerator?

Thank you for such quick response. I am sorry. What i derived has degree of numerator greater than degree of denominator. the transfer function that i got is, please refer to the attachment and let me know if I'm doing something wrong. thanks

Attachments

• Circuit_Analysis.jpg
    Circuit_Analysis.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 452
sagar615 said:
Thank you for such quick response. I am sorry. What i derived has degree of numerator greater than degree of denominator. the transfer function that i got is, please refer to the attachment and let me know if I'm doing something wrong. thanks

I'm not sure (the problem statement schematic is a bit unusual for me), but I think Vi should be at V- input, and the other side of the xtal is grounded (connected to V+ input). Vi is not being fed in through the xtal. Does that give you a better result?

Vi is connected through the RLC circuit parallel with C_p. Attached is the other equivalent of the circuit. I hope that gives a better idea of the circuit i am trying to analyze. The schematic diagram seems correct according to this attachment. I do not know whether it gives a better result. I have just been asked to find the impulse response. so i was trying to evaluate the transfer function first.

Attachments

• Circuit2.jpg
    Circuit2.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 438

1. What is a transfer function?

A transfer function is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the input and output of a system. It describes how the input signal is transformed into the output signal by the system.

2. Why is it important to find the transfer function?

Finding the transfer function allows us to understand and analyze the behavior of a system. It can help us predict the system's response to different inputs and design control systems to achieve desired outputs.

3. How do you find the transfer function of a system?

The transfer function can be found by performing a Laplace transform on the system's differential equations. Alternatively, it can also be determined experimentally by measuring the input and output signals and using signal processing techniques.

4. What information is needed to find the transfer function?

To find the transfer function, you will need the system's differential equations and initial conditions. If using experimental methods, you will need to measure the input and output signals and know the properties of the system.

5. Can the transfer function change over time?

Yes, the transfer function of a system can change over time if the system itself changes. For example, if the system parameters or inputs change, the transfer function may also change. In some cases, the transfer function may also vary with the frequency of the input signal.