Simplifying the integral of dirac delta functions

In summary, the delta function is a mathematical tool used to eliminate integrals by substituting in the value of the function at the point where the delta function is located. This can be achieved by using the property of the delta function, ∫ δ(x) f(x) dx = f(0), and substituting the function f(x-1) to solve for any limits that include the zero of the delta function. However, it cannot be used for limits that do not include the zero of the delta function.
sleventh
hello all,
i am unaware of how to handle a delta function. from what i read online the integral will be 1 from one point to another since at zero the "function" is infinite. overall though i don't think i know the material well enough to trust my answer. and help on how to take the integral of a dirac delta function would be much appreciated. the kind of problems I am dealing with are similar to
[tex]\int[/tex]e^(-x^2) [tex]\delta[/tex](x+1)[1-cos(5 (pi/2) x)] dx from -infinity to 0
for this i solved the delta function for when x+1=0 since that is the only time when the function will have a value. i then subbed -1 for all x's and took the integral, assuming the delta function became 1.
thank you very much for help

Physics news on Phys.org
hello sleventh! :smile:

(have a delta: δ :wink:)
sleventh said:
i then subbed -1 for all x's and took the integral, assuming the delta function became 1.

no, there's no integral in the result …

δ is defined by the property ∫ δ(x) f(x) dx = f(0) for any f.

Put F(x) = f(x-1).

Then ∫ δ(x+1) f(x) dx = ∫ δ(x) f(x-1) dx = ∫ δ(x) F(x) dx = F(0) = f(-1). :wink:

Do you see how the δ function gets rid of the integral? :smile:

hey tiny-tim. thank you very much. that clears up a lot. so if you were to be taking the integral of the above problem from limits 0-∞ (thanks for the copy and paste) would the problem have the same solution as -∞ -0 because you are still subbing in 0 to the f(x-1) adaptation of the function?

Hi sleventh! :smile:

Any limits have to strictly include the zero of what's inside the δ (which in this case is -1) …

so it can be ∫-∞ or ∫-∞0 or ∫-20,

but not ∫0 or even ∫-1 or ∫-∞-1 :wink:

What is the Dirac delta function and why is it important in integrals?

The Dirac delta function is a mathematical concept used to represent a point mass or impulse in a system. It is important in integrals because it allows us to model and solve problems involving impulses, such as in physics and engineering.

What does it mean to simplify the integral of a Dirac delta function?

Simplifying the integral of a Dirac delta function refers to the process of evaluating the integral to a simple, numerical value. This can be done by using the properties of the delta function and manipulating the integral to a form that can be easily solved.

What are the properties of the Dirac delta function that can be used to simplify integrals?

The properties of the Dirac delta function that are useful for simplifying integrals include the sifting property, scaling property, and the fact that the integral of the delta function over its entire domain is equal to 1.

Are there any specific techniques for simplifying integrals involving multiple Dirac delta functions?

Yes, there are techniques such as using the convolution property, changing the order of integration, and using the delta function to eliminate other functions in the integral. These techniques can help simplify integrals with multiple delta functions.

How can I check if my simplified integral of a Dirac delta function is correct?

One way to check the accuracy of your simplified integral is to plug in the value of the delta function at the point of integration and see if it satisfies the original equation. Additionally, you can also use the properties of the delta function to verify the result.